all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Email Help
@ 2021-08-26  0:22 Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been trying for hours now trying to set up email in Emacs. I want to
use my Gmail account and I've installed OfflineIMAP.

I want to be able to compose and read emails in Emacs. If someone could
help me with configuring it that would be great!

Thanks,
Jason

--
*To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,

* Email Help
@ 2021-08-26  0:56 Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been trying for hours now trying to set up email in Emacs. I want to
use my Gmail account and I've installed OfflineIMAP.

I want to be able to compose and read emails in Emacs. If someone could
help me with configuring it that would be great!

Thanks,
Jason

--
*To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Snowden's example.*

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26  1:22 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> I have been trying for hours now trying to set up email in
> Emacs. I want to use my Gmail account and I've
> installed OfflineIMAP.
>
> I want to be able to compose and read emails in Emacs.
> If someone could help me with configuring it that would
> be great!

What client are you using?

With Gnus I found two pages on the Emacs Wiki:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Gmail%2C_Gnus_and_GPG

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26  1:42   ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

I want to be able to send right from Emacs, so I don't think I would need a
client to do so. I use Google for my email service.

--

@ 2021-08-26  2:08     ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-08-26  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

I tried to use Gnus many years ago but found it too hard to learn, and
I realized that I could just copy and paste text back and forward
between a Gmail tab in the browser and Emacs... and that's what I've
been using since then. Is that more of less what you are trying to do?
You said "I don't think I would need a client", maybe I'm
misinterpreting it...

@ 2021-08-26  3:12       ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs, help-gnu-emacs

Yes, I would like to use the Gnus. It's not so much learning it, it is the
actual installation I am having issues with. I am 14 years old and new to
doing this stuff so It's not too easy to wrap my mind around it.

I cannot find anything on installing it other than the Emacs tutorial but
the commands I execute do not work, I tried YouTube/video tutorials but
cannot find any video tutorials.

@ 2021-08-26  3:15       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs wrote:

> I tried to use Gnus many years ago but found it too hard to
> learn, and I realized that I could just copy and paste text
> back and forward between a Gmail tab in the browser and
> Emacs...

Also a method :)

But Gnus isn't hard to learn.

Or what's the hard part?

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:17     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> I want to be able to send right from Emacs, so I don't think
> I would need a client to do so.

No client? What do you mean?

> I use Google for my email service.

???

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:18         ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

The installation, when I copy the tutorial I get errors saying it does not
have permission or cannot find a config file.

I saw that RMS uses the Emacs as an email and for editing websites (which I
would also like to do) but that's what got me interested.

Do you know of a good resource to help install it? I could give the Wiki
another try.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:22       ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

When I hear an email client I think of Thunderbird or Outlook. Is that
correct? I would like to use Gnus as a client.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 11:20 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:22         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> Yes, I would like to use the Gnus. It's not so much learning
> it, it is the actual installation I am having issues with.
> I am 14 years old and new to doing this stuff so It's not
> too easy to wrap my mind around it.

OK, check out this page:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

Follow the instructions.

Where exactly is when you don't get any further?

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:29           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> The installation, when I copy the tutorial I get errors
> saying it does not have permission or cannot find
> a config file.

Okay, copy what tutorial?

And what exact error message did you get and at what stage?

> I saw that RMS uses the Emacs as an email and for editing
> websites (which I would also like to do) but that's what got
> me interested.

OK, well, both are possible. RMS uses Rmail but Gnus is what
is normally recommended, tho there are several mail clients
for Emacs, actually ...

As for editing websites, that can either refer to a mode -
e.g., `mhtml-mode' to edit HTML files - or it can refer to, in
general, editing files on a remote filesystem. One can do that
with Emacs, using Tramp.

> Do you know of a good resource to help install it? I could
> give the Wiki another try.

Yeah, that is probably the best one.

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:31         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> When I hear an email client I think of Thunderbird or
> Outlook. Is that correct? I would like to use Gnus as
> a client.

Yes, do it :)

--

@ 2021-08-26  3:45           ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-08-26  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

The last time that I tried Gnus someone
recommended this to me...
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00652.html

@ 2021-08-26  4:09             ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs wrote:

> The last time that I tried Gnus someone recommended this to
> me...
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00652.html

That post only has a link to another post, a long post with no
Elisp so ... how can that help?

You need template/skeleton Elisp to put in ~/.gnus and then
fill in the gaps.

--

@ 2021-08-26  5:24             ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

> OK, well, both are possible. RMS uses Rmail but Gnus is what
> is normally recommended, tho there are several mail clients
> for Emacs, actually ...

> As for editing websites, that can either refer to a mode -
> e.g., `mhtml-mode' to edit HTML files - or it can refer to, in
> general, editing files on a remote filesystem. One can do that
> with Emacs, using Tramp.
>
>> Do you know of a good resource to help install it? I could
>> give the Wiki another try.

I just tried installing it. So I just make a file in ~ named .gnus and
I added this content (attached file) would this be correct?

I am very new to Emacs so I do not know much about it. One thing I do
not get is when something says to "type this in" like M-x or something
where do I go to type this in?

Also, how would I get to 'mhtml-mode'?

If that ~/.gnus file is correct what is the next step?

Thanks,
Jason

--
*To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Snowden's example.*

[-- Attachment #2: .gnus --]

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.googlemail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
                                  (nnmail-expiry-target "nnimap+gmail:[Gmail]/Trash")  ; Move expired messages to Gmail's trash.
                                  (nnmail-expiry-wait immediate))) ; Mails marked as expired can be processed immediately.

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      gnus-ignored-newsgroups "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. ]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"]\"[#'()]")

    ;; Make Gnus NOT ignore [Gmail] mailboxes
    (setq gnus-ignored-newsgroups "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. ]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"]\"[#'()]"

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 11:39               ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2021-08-26 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

>>> Do you know of a good resource to help install it? I could
>>> give the Wiki another try.

Hi Jason,
Welcome to Emacs. I hope that we can help you setting up Gnus (which
should be included in your emacs installation).

> I just tried installing it. So I just make a file in ~ named .gnus and
> I added this content (attached file) would this be correct?

There is a syntax error at the end of that file.

Here is an extract from my gnus.el that works (ignore the lines
beginning with #):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.io"))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '(
				      (nnimap "GoogleMail"
					      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
					      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
					      (nnimap-server-port 993)
					      (nnimap-stream ssl))))
#+begin_src

This tells Gnus to *read* from the news.gmane.io news site and from
gmail. The only tricky part is the encrypted authinfo file. To get
started, I suggest changing "~/.authinfo.gpg" to the unencrypted
"~/.authinfo". The format of .authinfo is documented in the Gnus manual:
each line is of the form

E.g.

machine imap.gmail.com login someone@gmail.com password myweakpassword port 993

Try that and get back to us.

We can discuss sending email once reading it is working.

> I am very new to Emacs so I do not know much about it. One thing I do
> not get is when something says to "type this in" like M-x or something
> where do I go to type this in?

M-x in emacs-speak means hit the Modifier key (usually the Esc key),
then hit the x key. In most cases, you can also press and hold the Alt
key and the x key (on a US keyboard, you would use your left or right
thumb to press Alt and left index finger to press x). You will see the
illuminated cursor jumps to the bottom line of the emacs window (the
mini-buffer), positioned to the right of "M-x" and emacs waits for more
typing. E.g.

M-x info RET

(RET means press the Enter or Return key).

Similarly C-h t means press the Control and h keys together, then press
the t key. That will take to the emacs tutorial, which I recommend you
work through.

> Also, how would I get to 'mhtml-mode'?

M-x find-file RET my.html RET
M-x mhtml-mode RET

The first line creates a buffer named my.html, the second line sets the
mode (if it is not already set; you likely won't need to do it).

> If that ~/.gnus file is correct what is the next step?

Get back to us when your Gnus can read email and news.

Again, welcome to Emacs.

Best,
Leo

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 15:03                 ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I just tried installing it. So I just make a file in ~ named .gnus and
>> I added this content (attached file) would this be correct?
>
> There is a syntax error at the end of that file.

I've reattached the .gnus file does this look good?

> Here is an extract from my gnus.el that works (ignore the lines
> beginning with #):

> This tells Gnus to *read* from the news.gmane.io news site and from
> gmail. The only tricky part is the encrypted authinfo file. To get
> started, I suggest changing "~/.authinfo.gpg" to the unencrypted
> "~/.authinfo". The format of .authinfo is documented in the Gnus manual:
> each line is of the form

> E.g.
>
> machine imap.gmail.com login someone@gmail.com password myweakpassword port
> 993

When I try to "Get Mail" it just says "No Mail" It also says "RMAIL"
on the bottom left, is that correct? I attached a .authinfo.gpg file
copy is this correct?

Thanks,
Jason

--
*To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Snowden's example.*

[-- Attachment #2: .authinfo (copy).gpg --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-encrypted, Size: 108 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: .gnus --]

@ 2021-08-26 15:25         ` Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2021-08-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

GNUS is hard for me too.

Although its manual is well written and entertaining, it is hard to put
all things together.

I think GNUS would be much more comprehensible, if it had magit-like
interface. The complexity of git is so nicely tackled in magit that I
believe transient would be a good fit for such a complex package as
GNUS.

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 18:34                   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2021-08-26 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> I've reattached the .gnus file does this look good?

Almost. Change .authinfo.gpg to .authinfo since you have not encrypted
the file (ignore this advice if you are actually using an encrypted file
and sent an unencrypted simulacrum).

>> This tells Gnus to *read* from the news.gmane.io news site and from
>> gmail. The only tricky part is the encrypted authinfo file. To get
>> started, I suggest changing "~/.authinfo.gpg" to the unencrypted
>> "~/.authinfo". The format of .authinfo is documented in the Gnus manual:
>> each line is of the form

>> E.g.
>>
>> machine imap.gmail.com login someone@gmail.com password myweakpassword port 993

> I attached a .authinfo.gpg file copy is this correct?

Almost. You should change its name to .authinfo (since it is not
encrypted). And the line is missing the port information (see my example
a few lines above).

> When I try to "Get Mail" it just says "No Mail" It also says "RMAIL"
> on the bottom left, is that correct?

No. Emacs has two email clients, Rmail and Gnus. It sounds like Rmail is
being started by "Get Mail".

To try out Gnus with your new configuration, start a fresh emacs
instance and type

M-x gnus RET

(remember the conventions we discussed last email).

Please report back.

Best,
Leo

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 18:45                     ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/26/21, Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:

>> I've reattached the .gnus file does this look good?
>
> Almost. Change .authinfo.gpg to .authinfo since you have not encrypted
> the file (ignore this advice if you are actually using an encrypted file
> and sent an unencrypted simulacrum).

I've edited the file for .authinfo how do it look now? (File attached)

>> When I try to "Get Mail" it just says "No Mail" It also says "RMAIL"
>> on the bottom left, is that correct?
>
> No. Emacs has two email clients, Rmail and Gnus. It sounds like Rmail is
> being started by "Get Mail".
>
> To try out Gnus with your new configuration, start a fresh emacs
> instance and type
>
> M-x gnus RET

When I enter this it says "gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: setq"

Thanks,
Jason

--
*To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Snowden's example.*

[-- Attachment #2: .authinfo (copy) --]

maching imap.gmail.com login jason@sanroma.net password MyPasswordIsInThisFormatButIsRedacted port 993

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 19:03                       ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2021-08-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 06:45:22PM +0000, Jason Sanroma wrote:

> When I enter this it says "gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: setq"

Missing "(" at the beginning of the line.

--
Herbert

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 19:44                         ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks! It now works. So now to read/send mail in Emacs is there a
certain code for that?

Thanks,
Jason

--

@ 2021-08-26 21:32                           ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> Thanks! It now works. So now to read/send mail in Emacs is there a
> certain code for that?

Not sure what you mean with "code", but M-x gnus will get you there.

> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 3:07 PM Herbert J. Skuhra <herbert@gojira.at> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 06:45:22PM +0000, Jason Sanroma wrote:
>> >
>> > When I enter this it says "gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: setq"
>>
>> Missing "(" at the beginning of the line.
>>
>> --
>> Herbert

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-26 22:51                 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo Butler wrote:

> on a US keyboard, you would use your left or right thumb to
> press Alt and left index finger to press x

Left thumb and left middle finger ...

--

@ 2021-08-26 23:00                     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo Butler wrote:

> Emacs has two email clients, Rmail and Gnus. It sounds like
> Rmail is being started by "Get Mail".

Rmail and Gnus are built-in but there are other mail clients
for Emacs, for example Mu4e which is based on mu:

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/mu4e

I only used Rmail and Gnus tho, of these I can recommend Gnus
with the nnml backend for mail and Gmane for mailing lists.

--

@ 2021-08-26 23:02           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Max Brieiev wrote:

> GNUS is hard for me too.

It isn't GNUS anymore but Gnus ...

> Although its manual is well written and entertaining, it is
> hard to put all things together.

We keep hearing this but it would be more helpful if people
said what part exactly they were having problems with ...

--

@ 2021-08-26 23:08             ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-26 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs

For me it's small things. Since I am a new user I did not know what "~"
meant. Now I know it is the home directory. The manual does not state
things at beingineer levels so it is hard to know what it is telling you to
do.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 7:05 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU

--

@ 2021-08-26 23:16               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-26 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> For me it's small things. Since I am a new user I did not
> know what "~" meant. Now I know it is the home directory.
> The manual does not state things at beingineer levels so it
> is hard to know what it is telling you to do.

That's more a Unix thing than Enacs tho.

Try

$ echo ~

--

@ 2021-08-27  0:10                           ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2021-08-27  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> Thanks! It now works. So now to read/send mail in Emacs is there a
> certain code for that?

You should see a buffer which is empty with something like

-UUU:**--F1  Gnus: *Group* {nntp:news.gmane.io}

on the mode line (second line from the bottom). You type

^

This will open a buffer named *Server*. I will contain 2-3 lines like

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nntp:news.gmane.io} (opened)

(there should be a line for gmail, too, in my example I only have those
two lines).

Put point on the second line and hit the Enter key. Gnus will take a few
seconds (it will emit messages in the mini-buffer, though), and a new
buffer will open, with something like

-UUU:----F1  Gnus: *Gnus Browse Server* {nntp:news.gmane.io}

on the mode line.

A very long list of news groups will appear. Search for
gmane.emacs.help. When you find it, put point on that line and type

then

then

This will bring you back to the *Group* buffer, but now it will have one
line in it,

       *: gmane.emacs.help

Put point on that line and hit the Enter key. Gnus will ask how many
articles to get, enter a small number like 200 and hit Enter.

Now, search for Sanroma. When you find that first message, put point on
that line and hit Enter.

Report back to us when you get there.

Leo

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> Thanks! It now works. So now to read/send mail in Emacs is there a
> certain code for that?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 3:07 PM Herbert J. Skuhra <herbert@gojira.at> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 06:45:22PM +0000, Jason Sanroma wrote:
>> >
>> > When I enter this it says "gnus-read-init-file: Error in ~/.gnus: setq"
>>
>> Missing "(" at the beginning of the line.
>>
>> --
>> Herbert

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-29  3:17                             ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-08-29  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I was just wondering is it normal to say this as the sender address?
From: Jason Sanroma
<jason@vostro.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

If it is not, how do I set this up?

Thanks,
Jason

--

@ 2021-08-29  3:34                               ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-29  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma wrote:

> I was just wondering is it normal to say this as the sender address?
> From: Jason Sanroma
> <jason@vostro.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>

Is that normal? Good question ...

I think what you use is

  (setq user-full-name    "Joe Hacker")
  (setq user-mail-address "joe@hacker.com")

--

@ 2021-08-29 15:52                                 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-08-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey there,

I was debating setting up Emacs for Fastmail via mu-4e or GNUS.

How easy is it to set this up if you have an existing mail provider like Fastmail?

Just hopping on this thread to ask to keep the conversation going.

Thanks,

Sam

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021, at 11:34 PM, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> Jason Sanroma wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering is it normal to say this as the sender address?
> > From: Jason Sanroma
> > <jason@vostro.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
>
> Is that normal? Good question ...
>
> I think what you use is
>
>   (setq user-full-name    "Joe Hacker")
>   (setq user-mail-address "joe@hacker.com")
>
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-29 16:09                                   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Banya wrote:

> I was debating setting up Emacs for Fastmail via mu-4e
> or GNUS.
>
> How easy is it to set this up if you have an existing mail
> provider like Fastmail?

I don't know how simple/difficult it is with mu4e but with
Gnus is it as simple as with a/any GUI client, the difference
is you have to setup the POP and SMTP (or whatever) settings
in Elisp instead of a GUI window with fields and buttons.

I recommend the nnml backend for mail, that way you get
1 file on your disk for ever 1 mail sent or received ...

Take a look here [1], it says

  The first thing you must do is creating a gnus configuration
  file. Open ~ /.gnus.el. Tell Gnus who you are. Do so with
  the lines

    (setq user-mail-address     "you@domain.com"
          user-full-name        "Your Full Name")

Then you just continue ...

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial

--

@ 2021-08-29 16:17                                   ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-29 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> I was debating setting up Emacs for Fastmail via mu-4e or GNUS.

Didn't you set up your mail with rmail just two days ago? :)

See if this helps you:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/mu4e

> How easy is it to set this up if you have an existing mail provider like Fastmail?

You should probalby turn to fastmail help. Since it is paid email service they
do provide help, so it is probably better to ask there.

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-29 16:29                                     ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-08-29 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

No, this isn't my thread. Was kind of hijacking it to just ask a question since I noticed it.

I take a look at email based threads since its a pretty difficult topic in general, especially with Emacs, so I like how everyone jumped into help. Pretty awesome mailing list --> Goes to show how great the Emacs community is :)

Honestly, though, I wish the docs would be stupid simple, ex: You have this provider? Use these SMTP settings, and these example config settings.

Instead, from what I remember, I remember reading a vague page on how it works, and slightly how to maybe set it up.

Anyway, just a minor thing.

Thanks for the links, will check this out. Helps a ton since I don't have much time to mess around with config stuff these days and unfortunately, I kind of get caught up in the idea that I just want it to "Just work". Otherwise my patience is super limited sometimes.

Cool stuff, thanks for the posts.

Back to helping the original person with their email issues ;)

Sincerely,

Sam

@ 2021-08-29 17:08                                     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-29 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> You should probalby turn to fastmail help. Since it is paid
> email service they do provide help, so it is probably better
> to ask there.

Ask them how to install mu4e/setup Gnus?

Besides it should not differ from provider to provider.

If it works in another client, check the settings, then move
them to Elisp and Gnus.

@ 2021-08-29 19:09                                       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> You should probalby turn to fastmail help. Since it is paid
>> email service they do provide help, so it is probably better
>> to ask there.
>
> Ask them how to install mu4e/setup Gnus?
No, ask them how to integrgate extermal client with their service.

> Besides it should not differ from provider to provider.
Really? How many different providers have you tried yourself?

> If it works in another client, check the settings, then move
> them to Elisp and Gnus.
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial
He asked for mu4e this time, not Gnus.

Instead of constantly looking how to contra something you should maybe think
first and comment after you have thought through?

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-08-29 20:15                                         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> No, ask them how to integrgate extermal client with
> their service.

But we already know that, it is the same way as for any
mail provider.

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-08/msg00573.html>

> Instead of constantly looking how to contra something you
> should maybe think first and comment after you have
> thought through?

Why are you so angry all the time?

--

@ 2021-08-29 21:27                                           ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller wrote:
>
>> No, ask them how to integrgate extermal client with
>> their service.
>
> But we already know that, it is the same way as for any
> mail provider.
>
>>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial
>>
>> He asked for mu4e this time, not Gnus.
>
> "I was debating setting up Emacs for Fastmail via mu-4e
> or GNUS."
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-08/msg00573.html>
>
>> Instead of constantly looking how to contra something you
>> should maybe think first and comment after you have
>> thought through?
>
> Why are you so angry all the time?

Me? :-) You have no idea :-).

I am almost never agnry my man.

* Re: Emacs email setup, was: Email Help
@ 2021-08-30 16:00                                   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2021-08-30 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> I was debating setting up Emacs for Fastmail via mu-4e or GNUS.
>
> How easy is it to set this up if you have an existing mail provider like Fastmail?

I have no experience with Fastmail, but my last 3 employers have used
microsoft's email service, and setting Gnus up to work with it has been
pretty painless. The hardest thing is to be disciplined, get a minimal
working configuration first, then play around if you want. Expect to
learn a lot.

Note that when I want to do big experiments with Gnus, I use an entirely
different user account and I do not experiment with my work email. Gmail
is fine...

I found a reference to this page in my gnus.el, which I recall was
really helpful:

http://www.mostlymaths.net/2010/12/emacs-30-day-challenge-using-gnus-to.html

I don't know why I didn't use the emacswiki gnustutorial, since these
articles are similar.

> Just hopping on this thread to ask to keep the conversation going.

Please don't hijack threads. It makes searching very difficult.

Best,
Leo

> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2021, at 11:34 PM, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>> Jason Sanroma wrote:
>>
>> > I was just wondering is it normal to say this as the sender address?
>> > From: Jason Sanroma
>> > <jason@vostro.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
>>
>> Is that normal? Good question ...
>>
>> I think what you use is
>>
>>   (setq user-full-name    "Joe Hacker")
>>   (setq user-mail-address "joe@hacker.com")
>>
>> --
>> underground experts united
>> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-09-06  1:10                                             ` Jason Sanroma
From: Jason Sanroma @ 2021-09-06  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just configured it all. When it loads up it asks what group to use.
I select "INBOX" when I do it only show's the messages that are marked
with a "Star" on Gmail. It does not actually show ANY mail from INBOX.
How do I fix this?

@ 2021-09-07 11:24                                               ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2021-09-07 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Sanroma; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> I just configured it all. When it loads up it asks what group to use.
> I select "INBOX" when I do it only show's the messages that are marked
> with a "Star" on Gmail. It does not actually show ANY mail from INBOX.

You need to tell us how you configured Gnus.

> How do I fix this?

It sounds like you did not subscribe to INBOX. In my last email, I
described how you can do that.

Leo

* Re: Email Help
@ 2021-09-07 15:26                                               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday,  5 Sep 2021 at 21:10, Jason Sanroma wrote:
> I just configured it all. When it loads up it asks what group to use.
> I select "INBOX" when I do it only show's the messages that are marked
> with a "Star" on Gmail. It does not actually show ANY mail from INBOX.
> How do I fix this?

This sounds like all your non-starred (flagged) emails have been read
(you probably read them in gmail itself?).

By default, gnus will only show you unread email.  If you want to see
the emails you have already read, type "/o" when in the Summary
buffer.  gnus will prompt for how many old emails you wish to see.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0