Dear maintainers, I think the current behaviour of 'imenu-eager-completion-buffer' is counter-intuitive. Its default value is non-nil, while its doc string tells us that: If non-nil, eagerly popup the completion buffer. This, however, is not what actually happens. With 'emacs -Q': + Include a demo function in the scratch buffer: (defun test-fn ()) + M-x imenu + Here we expect the Completions' buffer to eagerly pop up, yet it does not. + M-: (setq imenu-eager-completion-buffer nil) + M-x imenu + The Completions' buffer now pops up automatically. Do you agree that this is counter-intuitive? If so, please find attached a patch that should fix the issue. I was not sure this was NEWSworthy, but I included an entry regardless. All the best, Protesilaos -- Protesilaos Stavrou https://protesilaos.com