Michael Heerdegen writes: > Ah - ok, now finally I've understood all the parts. > > You want to prompt for a directory that is either empty or not yet > existing. But with `read-file-name' you only get either (a) non-empty > directories accepted as input, or (b) failing completion of existing > non-empty directories, which makes it impossible to choose a directory > inside an existing directory. > > Yes, looks like a bug that this is not possible. It should be possible > to complete directory names that do not match. I'm happy to work on the bug, if others agree that this change is desired. > Then the documentation needs to be improved: what exactly is accepted > when both MUSTMATCH and PREDICATE are specified? I can improve the docs too, once I have the answer that questions. > Finally, I think the docstring of `read-directory-name' needs to be > updated: it fails to mention that MUSTMATCH can be a function (the > argument is passed directly to `read-file-name'). How about the attached patch? > Michael.