all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-18 14:20 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:

  - a method specification
  - a user name
  - a host name
  - and a path specifying the file on the remote host

Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.

Which word could I use for the fourth component of a Tramp filename?
I think "filename" is not a good word, as I already use it for the
whole thing.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* RE: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-21 22:34 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-01-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look at the Foldoc entry http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?pathname
This may help solve your dilemma.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W. Crane-

> > A Tramp filename consists of the following parts:
> >
> >   - a method specification
> >   - a user name
> >   - a host name
> >   - and a path specifying the file on the remote host
> >
> > Now the GNU coding standards say that the word "path" is defined as a
> > list of directories, such as those found in $PATH and $MANPATH.
>
> Whatever... Where have you seen 'path' defined this way?
[...]
> Let's stop now with the novlang, and name your path 'path'!

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-01/msg00320.html

/Johan

[parent not found: <mailman.739.1043188595.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* RE: Another word for "path"?
@ 2003-01-22 18:55 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2003-01-22 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  Wednesday, January 22, 2003 12:37 PM David Masterson writes:

>> In article <84u1g2cu7k.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>,
>> Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

>>> GNU coding standards.  Since Tramp is a GNU program (or part of it,
>>> anyway), it's a good idea to adhere to this document :-)
>
>> Unix has always referred to something like /foo/bar/baz as a
>> pathname.
>
>I thought it always referred to as "filename".  I think the term
>"pathname" became more prevalent after $PATH came into being (so it
>does go back a *long* way).
>
>> I've always understood a list of directories like in $PATH to be
>> called a "search path", to distinguish it from a "file path".
>
>Didn't VMS have a "file path" type concept that was more akin to $PATH
>such that you could say "$PATH:file" and it would search the PATH for
>a "file"?  Maybe it was also a concept in TOPS-20/10, but that's too
>far back for me to remember clearly.

VMS did have such a concept, how I miss it.  A "symbol" could be defined that contained a series of directory specifications.  The symbol was not limited to name PATH so multiple search path symbols could be defined and did not require a $ preceding it.  It was very useful, it is too bad that Unix does not have a similar facility.

-_