all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copy/paste & Emacs on XWindows
@ 2003-03-17 23:59 Peter Lee
       [not found] ` <mailman.3341.1048023843.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-17 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there something special you have to do to get copy/paste working
between emacs and other apps on xwindows ?

If I M-w some text in emacs it doesn't appear to store it in the
"clipboard" (whatever the xwindows equivalent of that is).

I'm sure it's just a setting as I can't imagine not have this
functionality.

TIA.

* Re: copy/paste & Emacs on XWindows
@ 2003-03-18 21:25 ` Roman A. Lagunov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3367.1048067622.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.3341.1048023843.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Roman A. Lagunov @ 2003-03-18 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

 PL> Is there something special you have to do to get copy/paste
 PL> working between emacs and other apps on xwindows ?

 PL> If I M-w some text in emacs it doesn't appear to store it in the
 PL> "clipboard" (whatever the xwindows equivalent of that is).

 You can try to do it with mouse - just drag around block of text you
 want to yank.

 Then, in xterm for exapmle, just click middle button.

 That's a trick. It's works perfectly for me.

--
  Roman

@ 2003-03-19  9:41   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2003-03-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

 PL> Is there something special you have to do to get copy/paste
 PL> working between emacs and other apps on xwindows ?

 PL> If I M-w some text in emacs it doesn't appear to store it in the
 PL> "clipboard" (whatever the xwindows equivalent of that is).

 Roman>  You can try to do it with mouse - just drag around block of
 Roman> text you want to yank.

 Roman>  Then, in xterm for exapmle, just click middle button.

 Roman>  That's a trick. It's works perfectly for me.

I mark the region with C-space at the beginning, move point to the end
and then M-w, move to another window with some other X app, hit the
middle button on my mouse and there it is.

So, it should work. Maybe something is funny with your config?

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: copy/paste & Emacs on XWindows
@ 2003-03-19  9:52   ` Ittay Dror
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3367.1048067622.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ittay Dror @ 2003-03-19  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 23:25, Roman A. Lagunov wrote:

>  PL> Is there something special you have to do to get copy/paste
>  PL> working between emacs and other apps on xwindows ?
>
>  PL> If I M-w some text in emacs it doesn't appear to store it in the
>  PL> "clipboard" (whatever the xwindows equivalent of that is).
>
>  You can try to do it with mouse - just drag around block of text you
>  want to yank.
>
>  Then, in xterm for exapmle, just click middle button.
>
>  That's a trick. It's works perfectly for me.
i have this hack:
(defun if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection ()
  (if mark-active
	  (x-set-selection 'PRIMARY (buffer-substring (region-beginning)
(region-end)))))

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection)

what it does is copy the region to the primary selection, (which is not
the clipboard), use the middle mouse button to paste it in another
window. if you wish to copy to the clipboard, change PRIMARY to
CLIPBOARD.

hope it helps,
ittay
--
===================================
Ittay Dror (ittay@qlusters.com)

@ 2003-03-19 18:41     ` Peter Lee
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3403.1048139991.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ittay Dror <ittay@qlusters.com> writes:

> i have this hack:
> (defun if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection ()
>   (if mark-active
> 	  (x-set-selection 'PRIMARY (buffer-substring (region-beginning)
> (region-end)))))
>
> (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection)
>
> what it does is copy the region to the primary selection, (which is not
> the clipboard), use the middle mouse button to paste it in another
> window. if you wish to copy to the clipboard, change PRIMARY to
> CLIPBOARD.

Thanks a bunch!  I will try this when I get home.  One other
thing... what about copying from clipboard to Emacs?  Any tricks for
that ?  Or should that just work as is?

* Re: copy/paste & Emacs on XWindows
@ 2003-03-20  5:59       ` Ittay Dror
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3403.1048139991.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ittay Dror @ 2003-03-20  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 20:41, Peter Lee wrote:
> Ittay Dror <ittay@qlusters.com> writes:
>
> > i have this hack:
> > (defun if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection ()
> >   (if mark-active
> > 	  (x-set-selection 'PRIMARY (buffer-substring (region-beginning)
> > (region-end)))))
> >
> > (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'if-copy-mark-to-primary-selection)
> >
> > what it does is copy the region to the primary selection, (which is not
> > the clipboard), use the middle mouse button to paste it in another
> > window. if you wish to copy to the clipboard, change PRIMARY to
> > CLIPBOARD.
>
> Thanks a bunch!  I will try this when I get home.  One other
> thing... what about copying from clipboard to Emacs?  Any tricks for
> that ?  Or should that just work as is?
it should work as it. check that the variable x-select-enable-clipboard
is set to t. however, i think that the middle mouse button will try to
paste from there and not the primary selection, as it normally does.
anyway, below are other hacks i use.

(defadvice mouse-yank-at-click (around yank-from-primary last act)
  "i want the middle mouse button to always paste the primary selection"
  (let ((x-select-enable-clipboard nil))
	ad-do-it))

(defadvice mouse-set-region (around kill-to-primary last act)
  "i want the mouse drags to copy only to primary selection"
  (let ((x-select-enable-clipboard nil))
	ad-do-it))

(defadvice mouse-drag-region (around kill-to-primary last act)
  "i want the mouse drags to copy only to primary selection"
  (let ((x-select-enable-clipboard nil))
	ad-do-it))

and while i'm at it, these are my hacks for using the cut buffers
instead of the kill ring (if you use kde, then the cut buffers is the
history you see in klipper).

(defadvice current-kill (around use-cut-buffer first act)
  "use the cut buffer instead of the kill ring"
   (let ((text (if (> n 0)
 				  (x-get-cut-buffer n)
 				ad-do-it)))
 	(setq ad-return-value text)))

(defadvice yank (before fix-arg last act)
  "when invoked with prefix argument, yank passes current-kill the value
of arg-1. so if
  (if (not (or (listp arg) (eq arg '-)))
	  (setq arg (1+ arg))))

--
===================================

@ 2003-03-20 16:17         ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ittay Dror <ittay@qlusters.com> writes:

> it should work as it. check that the variable x-select-enable-clipboard
> is set to t. however, i think that the middle mouse button will try to
> paste from there and not the primary selection, as it normally does.
> anyway, below are other hacks i use.

Thanks again... these are very helpful.

@ 2003-04-18  4:24         ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2003-04-18  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On CDE, I have no problem.

Now, I don't use the mouse's buttons (just because
I don't like mice); I use the KEYS for copy and paste.

When do I need this copy/paste stuff?  Wnen
logged into my shell-account, and want to either
copy stuff from an emacs-region into eg a remote
"cat >> t.foo" or appending in vi,

or via mouse-blackening of dtterm showing my shell-acct,
pasting (via the paste key) into an emacs buffer (at point).

Usually C-Y works, but if it doesn't, I simply hit
paste.  The pasted stuff ends up being a region
in emacs.

And, I need no special hacks; works just fine with
emacs as-is.

Again, I've never tried the middle or right keys
on the mouse; maybe that's related.

David