all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Very slow startup with UTF-8 locale
@ 2003-05-08 18:38 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2003-05-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I'm experiencing a very weird problem.

  When LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, it take one minute before Emacs (I tried 21.3
  and CVS HEAD) displays its main window. In the meantime, quite
  no CPU is used. Locales are properly configured and generated.
  It starts immediately when LANG=fr_FR.

  Did anyone experience such a problem?

  Thanks in advance.

  PS: please followup properly. Thx.

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Very slow startup with UTF-8 locale
       [not found] <mailman.5783.1052420256.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-09 15:14 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-05-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jérôme,

jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) writes:
>   When LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, it take one minute before Emacs (I tried
>   21.3 and CVS HEAD) displays its main window. In the meantime,
>   quite no CPU is used.

I guess that Emacs is looking for a suitable font.  I suggest that you
make sure that your Emacs default font is a Unicode font, that your
font server responds timely and that you do not have too many fonts
installed that you don't actually use.

so long, benny

@ 2003-06-02 22:16 ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2003-06-02 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am just looking for a way to make emacs use utf-8 as the default
encoding, and found your post. I'm curious about this fr_FR.UTF-8
sentence, what is it and how is it being used? Might there be a similiar
thing for german or english language, that would set the
default-encoding to utf-8?

I couldn't find it in the manual :-(

Many thanks for any help!

Bjoern

@ 2003-06-05 17:04   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-05 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern <p2@blinker.net> writes:

> I am just looking for a way to make emacs use utf-8 as the default
> encoding, and found your post. I'm curious about this fr_FR.UTF-8
> sentence, what is it and how is it being used? Might there be a
> similiar thing for german or english language, that would set the
> default-encoding to utf-8?

"locale -a" lists all available locales, de_DE.UTF-8 might be amongst
them.
--
This line is not blank.