all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-04-25 22:47 Micha
From: Micha @ 2005-04-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hello,

  I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
  if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.

  Is there any way to do this ?

  Thanks in advance :)

--
   Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha                   *       +    - - --.
|      -Epita 2007 - Ing 1 - CSI-  @ r   '@'      *****     O `@       |

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-04-27 10:10 ` Micha
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3175.1114604433.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Micha @ 2005-04-27 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Micha <micha.remove@me.lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>   Hello,
>
>   I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
>   if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.
>
>   Is there any way to do this ?
>
>   Thanks in advance :)

    No idea or workaround guys ?

--
   Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha                   *       +    - - --.
|      -Epita 2007 - Ing 1 - CSI-  @ r   '@'      *****     O `@       |

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-04-27 12:10   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3175.1114604433.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-27 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.04.2005 um 12:10 schrieb Micha:

>     No idea or workaround guys ?

XFocusChangeEvent(3)? XmImSetFocusValues(3)? XmProcessTraversal(3)?

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)

@ 2005-04-27 17:41     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-04-27 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 27.04.2005 um 12:10 schrieb Micha:
>
>>     No idea or workaround guys ?
>>

> XFocusChangeEvent(3)? XmImSetFocusValues(3)? XmProcessTraversal(3)?

My guess is that Micha wanted to do this from elisp. The above seems
to be... something else... :)

I would like to have this too. For example, I think jabber-activity.el
could make use of it. Right, Magnus?

/Mathias

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-04-27 19:08       ` Micha
From: Micha @ 2005-04-27 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller.rem0veth1s@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 27.04.2005 um 12:10 schrieb Micha:
>>
>>>     No idea or workaround guys ?
>>>

>> XFocusChangeEvent(3)? XmImSetFocusValues(3)? XmProcessTraversal(3)?
>
> My guess is that Micha wanted to do this from elisp. The above seems
> to be... something else... :)
>
> I would like to have this too. For example, I think jabber-activity.el
> could make use of it. Right, Magnus?

    That's  exactly my  point,  as  I'm developing  an  IM client  for
  another protocol.

    The aim  is to allow  the user to  be warned with  a `xmessage(1)'
  that some message arrived, but only if Emacs doesn't have the focus.

    And  I really  don't want  to add  an extra  executable  file that
  tells, with X functions, if it's the case :-/

--
   Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha                   *       +    - - --.
|      -Epita 2007 - Ing 1 - CSI-  @ r   '@'      *****     O `@       |

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-02  0:38 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1224.1115069322.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-02  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
>   if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.

I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,

* Re: Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-02 13:50         ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-05-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     The aim  is to allow  the user to  be warned with  a
`xmessage(1)'
>   that some message arrived, but only if Emacs doesn't have the
focus.

Any frame of Emacs or some particular frame?

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-02 21:21   ` Michael Cadilhac
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1224.1115069322.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-02 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>   I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
>>   if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.
>
> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,

    Ok, why not !

    A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
  XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
  has the input focus ?

    So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
  some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |    _ coin     _ coin     _ angle
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  >(')____,  >(')____,  >(')____,

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-03  3:09     ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3162.1115148898.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Probably just the GNU Coding Standards.  Expect to post the "patch" as
a stand-alone file first.  See the GNU Emacs Sources mailing list or
Emacs Lisp List for many examples.

Neat sig by the way.  What is "coin coin angle"?  I've heard of "angle
side angle" and "side angle side".  "coin coin angle" sounds like some
weird marriage of Mario Brothers and Trigonometry.  I like it.

@ 2005-05-03  8:56     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-05-03  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>>>   I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
>>>   if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.
>>
>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
>
>     Ok, why not !
>
>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>   has the input focus ?
>
>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?

I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-03 13:15           ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-05-03 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

>>     The aim  is to allow  the user to  be warned with  a
> `xmessage(1)'
>>   that some message arrived, but only if Emacs doesn't have the
> focus.
>>

> Any frame of Emacs or some particular frame?

My guess is the frame with a buffer where a new IM message is
displayed.

/Mathias

* Re: Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-03 16:57             ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-05-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> "rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:
>
> >>     The aim  is to allow  the user to  be warned with  a
> > `xmessage(1)'
> >>   that some message arrived, but only if Emacs doesn't have the
> > focus.
> >>

> > Any frame of Emacs or some particular frame?
>
> My guess is the frame with a buffer where a new IM message is
> displayed.

That was my thought too but the requirements, as stated,
would be so much easier to implement.
Personally I think that if one were to go thru the trouble
of implementing a solution it should just provide a hook
that is called upon loosing focus and another upon getting
focus.  Some hook code could then maintain a focus flag but
I'm sure more cool & useful stuff would spring from the
hook than the flag.

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-03 19:33       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3162.1115148898.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.05.2005 um 05:09 schrieb Joe Corneli:

> Neat sig by the way.  What is "coin coin angle"?

>        Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |    _ coin     _ coin
>  _ angle
>                        Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  >(')____,  >(')____,
> >(')____,
>      2 rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |    (` =~~/    (` =~~/
>  (` =~~/
>    94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 |
> ~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^

The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. (Try to pronounce it
through your nose, as in Monty Python's movies, like: queng, queng.)
But the third one? I have no idea!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

@ 2005-05-03 23:24     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-03 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
>>> if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.
>>
>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,

>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>   has the input focus ?

BTW, you might want to use other info than focus.  E.g. you might just want
to check whether one of Emacs's frames is currently visible (rather than
obscured by another window).
Of course it depends on the actual application you have in mind.

In any case, whatever you use will be fragile, since you might lose focus
between the moment you ask whether you have focus and the moment you act
on it.

>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?

Try to mimick the rest of the code ;-)

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04  3:46       ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-04  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >>>   I need to know if emacs has the global input focus, that's to say,
   >>>   if emacs' window is the selected one in the wm.
   >>
   >> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
   >> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
   >
   >     Ok, why not !
   >
   >     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
   >   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
   >   has the input focus ?
   >
   >     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
   >   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?

   I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
   handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
   anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

With the right window manager, it is certainly very easy to get access
to this information from within Emacs.  But I'd assume that there are
also some cross-WM methods... after all, all WMs know which window has
focus.  (Yes, this assumption involves a bit of a leap of faith on my
part.)

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04 15:56       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-05-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:
 > I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
 > handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
 > anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

Emacs does know about the focus, it just doesn't expose that information
to the Lisp programmer until the user actually provides input.  See the
"Focus Events" node of the Emacs Lisp manual.

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-05-04 19:57         ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-04 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

-

> Am 03.05.2005 um 05:09 schrieb Joe Corneli:
>
>> Neat sig by the way.  What is "coin coin angle"?
>
>>        Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |    _ coin     _ coin
>> _ angle
>>                        Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  >(')____,  >(')____,
>> >(')____,
>>      2 rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |    (` =~~/    (` =~~/
>> (` =~~/
>>    94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 |
>> ~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^
>>

> The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. (Try to pronounce it
> through your nose, as in Monty Python's movies, like: queng, queng.)
> But the third one? I have no idea!

  Exactly ! I searched a way to translate the sound `coin' in english,
  and I had no result, `queng queng' is great !

  In fact,  I've answered to  this post, but  my reply must  have been
  disintegrated by a susceptible smtp server :) Here is it :

- --=-=-=

To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
From: Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac.@t.lrde.epita.fr>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 23:14:02 +0200

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> Michael Cadilhac <michael.cadilhac at lrde.epita.fr> wrote:
>
>>        So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>>      some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?
>
> Probably just the GNU Coding Standards.  Expect to post the "patch" as
> a stand-alone file first.  See the GNU Emacs Sources mailing list or
> Emacs Lisp List for many examples.

  Ok, thank you, I'll have a look at that !

>>Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |    _ coin     _ coin     _ angle
>>                Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  >(')____,  >(')____,  >(')____,
>>rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |    (` =~~/    (` =~~/    (` =~~/
>>  Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 | ~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^
>
> Neat sig by the way.  What is "coin coin angle"?  I've heard of "angle
> side angle" and "side angle side".  "coin coin angle" sounds like some
> weird marriage of Mario Brothers and Trigonometry.  I like it.

  In fact,  the "coin coin angle" thing  is a French joke  ! `Coin' is
  the  French for  duck's quark,  and  also means  `corner'. You  see,
  corner, angle, corner, quark, angle ? Haha hilarious, nop ?

  No ?

  Damn, you must be right.

  So, there's no link with Mario Bros, btw :)

- --=-=-=

=2D-=20
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should
  2 rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |  s/-@t-/@/ my mail address.
94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 |

- --=-=-=--

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04 20:03           ` Michael Cadilhac
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3390.1115261851.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-04 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac-@t-lrde.epita.fr> writes:

  Okey,  mixing inline  signature  and multipart  message  was not  my
  today's best idea :) Sorry for that !

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should
  2 rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |  s/-@t-/@/ my mail address.
94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04 20:13       ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-04 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1106 bytes --]

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
>>
>>     Ok, why not !
>>
>>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>>   has the input focus ?
>>
>>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?
>>
> I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
> handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
> anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

  It seems that my answer is now a bunch of lost bytes in the cruel
  world of usenet.

  God bless the mighty sent messages saving in gnus.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2102 bytes --]

From: Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac.@t.lrde.epita.fr>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:00:27 +0200

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
>>
>>     Ok, why not !
>>
>>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>>   has the input focus ?
>>
>>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?
>>
> I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
> handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
> anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

  Yep, I  think the problem  is here. But  now the question is,  is it
worth doing a `frame-focus-p' compatible with X and W32 (and more ?)?

  As said, It'll be a great  thing for modules wanting to do something
iif the user is not concentrated on emacs.

  I'm wondering if this patch has to be more than X/W32 compatible; In
fact, I don't know if mac's cocoa is managed in the same way.

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: Type: text/plain, Size: 431 bytes --]

  By the  way, the proposal  of rgb provides  a nicer way to  use this
functionality, but I'm not sure  this is really possible to have focus
hooks on a w32 system, isn't it ?

--

@ 2005-05-04 20:29         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3325.1115241750.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-05-04 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > Neat sig by the way.  What is "coin coin angle"?

    >        Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |    _ coin
    _ coin
    >  _ angle
    >                        Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  >(')____,  >(')____,
    > >(')____,
    >      2 rue de la Convention | 01.46.70.90.75 |    (` =~~/    (` =~~/
    >  (` =~~/
    >    94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre | 06.23.20.31.30 |
    > ~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^

    The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. (Try to pronounce it
    through your nose, as in Monty Python's movies, like: queng, queng.)
    But the third one? I have no idea!

The third duck doesn't quite "get" how to talk canard. It says "angle",
because it thinks that ducks are supposed to say "corner" (angle) - "coin"
means "corner, in French.

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04 21:15           ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3325.1115241750.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-04 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.05.2005 um 22:29 schrieb Drew Adams:

>     The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. (Try to pronounce it
>     through your nose, as in Monty Python's movies, like: queng,
> queng.)
>     But the third one? I have no idea!
>
> The third duck doesn't quite "get" how to talk canard. It says "angle",
> because it thinks that ducks are supposed to say "corner" (angle) -
> "coin"
> means "corner, in French.

For me the question is: is the last duck British, or is it a wild one,
unadapted, not repeating the slogans as the others do?

--
Greetings

   Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

* RE: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-04 21:31             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-05-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >     The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. ...
    >     But the third one? I have no idea!
    >
    > The third duck doesn't quite "get" how to talk canard. It
    says "angle",
    > because it thinks that ducks are supposed to say "corner" (angle) -
    > "coin"
    > means "corner, in French.

    For me the question is: is the last duck British, or is it a wild one,
    unadapted, not repeating the slogans as the others do?

Maladapted, I guess.

"Angle" is both English and French. The joke is a French one.

@ 2005-05-04 21:44             ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-04 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.05.2005 um 22:29 schrieb Drew Adams:
>
>>     The first two ducks speak French, no doubt. (Try to pronounce it
>>     through your nose, as in Monty Python's movies, like: queng,
>> queng.)
>>     But the third one? I have no idea!
>>
>> The third duck doesn't quite "get" how to talk canard. It says "angle",
>> because it thinks that ducks are supposed to say "corner" (angle) -
>> "coin"
>> means "corner, in French.
>>

> For me the question is: is the last duck British, or is it a wild one,
> unadapted, not repeating the slogans as the others do?

  Hehe :) Well, when I first post in this newsgroup, I didn't remove
  my formal signature, so this is, basically, a _french_ signature (if
  I could say that :)).

  So the  three of them  are french ducks,  and the third one  is some
  kind of newbee duck :)

  Got it ? :)

--

@ 2005-05-04 22:28               ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.05.2005 um 23:31 schrieb Drew Adams:

> "Angle" is both English and French. The joke is a French one.

Although there is a Channel between the two nations they are
arch-enemies. Look at the Monty Python's movies! The British tries to
copy the French and can't get it right ...

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
@ 2005-05-05  2:53           ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]           ` <mailman.3390.1115261851.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Its funny, its funny!  And now I know how to address French ducks.

PS. I can't tell if this version is funny...

   _ coin     _ coin    ,--. angle
 >(')____,  >(')____,  |>(')|
   (` =~~/    (` =~~/  | (` |
~^~^`---'~^~^~^`---'~^~^`--'^~^~

or just weird.  I wonder, would Dada approve?

@ 2005-05-05  5:30             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-05-05  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> Its funny, its funny!  And now I know how to address French ducks.
>

> PS. I can't tell if this version is funny...
>
>    _ coin     _ coin    ,--. angle

This "freedom fries" nonsense is not really funny.  And I don't think
that only the true French can think out of the box.