all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fell in love with that color theme & fonts, how can I make it?
@ 2005-08-30 16:12 Emre Sevinc
From: Emre Sevinc @ 2005-08-30 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using GNU Emacs on my Debian GNU/Linux
with default fonts and color settings (as a newbie
I did nothing more than change the white background
into a cornsilk one using M-x set-background-color).

Then one day in a Lisp blog at
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/archive/2005-08-29.html
I've seen this screenshot:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/stc/slime-sprof.png

and fell in love with the color theme and fonts.

Can any of you Emacs wizards tell me how to set
those fonts and color theme for my Lisp editing on Emacs
running on Linux?

Thanks in advance.

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

* Re: Fell in love with that color theme & fonts, how can I make it?
@ 2005-08-30 16:34 ` Chris McMahan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris McMahan @ 2005-08-30 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would highly recommend you take a look at the emacs color-theme
package. I have been using it regularly for some time now!

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

* Fell in love with that color theme & fonts, how can I make it?
@ 2005-08-30 17:29 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2005-08-30 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ES> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/stc/slime-sprof.png

ES> and fell in love with the color theme and fonts.

Almost No Lisp Way

Issue the command list-faces-display, take a look to all the faces you
see.

Chose the face you want to change, mouse middle click or return

You are taken  to a bufffer where they offer  the chanche to customize
the face. Choose whatever you like  (font color etc), set and save for
future sessions.

For the background

(set-background-color "black")

in your .emacs

The Lisp Way For Colors:

Read the online docs for these functions (I have them in EMacs 22...)

set-face-attribute		   set-face-attribute-from-resource
set-face-attributes-from-resources
set-face-background		   set-face-background-pixmap
set-face-bold-p			   set-face-doc-string
set-face-documentation		   set-face-font
set-face-foreground		   set-face-inverse-video-p
set-face-italic-p		   set-face-stipple
set-face-underline		   set-face-underline-p

i.e.

;; It's a green darker than that's on the web page.
;; use list-color-display to discover all color names
;; or use #RRGGBB colors
(set-face-foreground font-lock-comment-face "OliveDrab")

--
 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________

* RE: Fell in love with that color theme & fonts, how can I make it?
@ 2005-08-30 18:12 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-08-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    how to set those fonts and color theme for my Lisp editing on Emacs
    running on Linux?

There are a couple of steps:

1. Finding out just what colors and fonts to use.
2. Setting them.
3. Saving those settings.

For step #1, you're somewhat on your own, since you're trying to reproduce a
screen capture, and don't know what the desired color and font names are. As
a shortcut, you might try emailing the author to ask what fonts, faces etc.
to use.

Alternatively, you can try to reproduce the colors interactively, using
library DoReMi - it lets you increment/decrement color components
interactively. This will be quick to do, but keep in mind that the screen
shot only shows some of the available faces - there are lots more.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FaceMenuPlus for a simple way to
use DoReMi to change face and frame colors - you just point to some text in
the face you want to change and then modify the face incrementally.

This also takes care of step #2, for the face and frame colors.

For fonts, things are a bit trickier, in your case. If you don't know the
font you want, and you don't even know if that font is installed on your
machine, the best you can do is cycle through the fonts you do have, to see
if one of them corresponds to what you want. You can use command
`doremi-font' to do that, but it will take a while to run through your
installed fonts. For general info on changing fonts, see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SetFonts.

For step #3, once you get the faces and frame parameters (font, colors)
looking the way you want them, you need to save them for future use - see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CustomizingAndSaving#SavingFrameParame
ters for how to do that.

HTH

* Re: Fell in love with that color theme & fonts, how can I make it?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-08-30 18:44 ` Emre Sevinc
From: Emre Sevinc @ 2005-08-30 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emre Sevinc <emres@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> I'm using GNU Emacs on my Debian GNU/Linux
> with default fonts and color settings (as a newbie
> I did nothing more than change the white background
> into a cornsilk one using M-x set-background-color).
>
> Then one day in a Lisp blog at
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/archive/2005-08-29.html
> I've seen this screenshot:
>
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/stc/slime-sprof.png

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I've installed emacs-color-themes package and also
started to play with fonts, fixed width fonts (compared to Courier)
looks better, I'm still experimenting with combinations
(I can spend the whole day, somebody stop me! :)