all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xml package for emacs?
@ 2006-05-01 22:22 DaLoverhino
From: DaLoverhino @ 2006-05-01 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
few.  My qualifications are these:

1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.
2. Takes advantage of color.
3. Does indenting.
4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
tag.
   So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.
5. Can move between opening and closing tags, and move upto enclosing
tags.

1,4 and 5 are most important to me.

thanks.

* Re: xml package for emacs?
@ 2006-05-01 22:45 ` Lennart Borgman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-01 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

DaLoverhino wrote:
> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:
>
> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.
> 2. Takes advantage of color.
> 3. Does indenting.
> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.
> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags, and move upto enclosing
> tags.
>
> 1,4 and 5 are most important to me.
>
> thanks.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/NxmlMode

* Re: xml package for emacs?
@ 2006-05-02  6:47 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-02  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"DaLoverhino" <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> writes:

> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:
>
> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.
> 2. Takes advantage of color.
> 3. Does indenting.
> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.
> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags, and move upto enclosing
> tags.
>
> 1,4 and 5 are most important to me.
>
> thanks.

I find nxml-mode really good. It may take a little customizing to get
it to work exactly as you want or to add things like xml validation
etc, but I've found it all works really well. It supports tag
completion (and can use DTD to determine valid tags), will close off
open tags with a simple keystroke, has syntax highlighting and
appropriate indentation etc. A very nice mode for XML authoring. I've
used it as a basis for a very nice docbook authoring environment.

See the emacs wiki for more info http://www.emacswiki.org

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: xml package for emacs?
@ 2006-05-03  4:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-05-03  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:

> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.
> 2. Takes advantage of color.
> 3. Does indenting.
> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.
> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags, and move upto enclosing
> tags.

For what it's worth, the sgml-mode that comes with Emacs-CVS (and which has
an xml submode) does 1, 2, 3, 4, and most of 5.  It's not as sophisticated
as nxml-mode, tho.

* Re: xml package for emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-03 19:06 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-05-03 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do you suggest as an xml package for emacs?  There seems to be a
> few.  My qualifications are these:

I use psgml.
	http://www.lysator.liu.se/projects/about_psgml.html

> 1. Package is available for gnu emacs on unix and windows.

Yes.

> 2. Takes advantage of color.

Yes.

> 3. Does indenting.

Yes.

> 4. Automatically closes out tag when you do a keystroke to close out
> tag.
>    So, it will automatically insert "</tag>" for you.

Yes.  The command sequence is `C-/'.

> 5. Can move between opening and closing tags,

Yes.  `C-M-a' and `C-M-e' (equivalent to `C-a' and `C-e').

> and move upto enclosing tags.

Yes.  `C-M-u'

> 1,4 and 5 are most important to me.

In addition to the above, psgml is DTD aware and give context
sensitive element insertion and context sensitive attribute insertion
and editing.

However, FWIW my long term plan is to move to nxml, because
 1. it is under active support (or will be, once the maintainer gets
    back to it)
 2. has indirectly support fort for formats that are described with a
    schema rather than a DTD, and a more flexible way of linking the
    schema to a document than using a DOCTYPE

What keeps me from going to nxml, is that
 1. my PSGML setup works for me the way it is
 2. AFAIK nxml doesn't support the `C-c +' command
 3. nxml can edit xhtml, but not old style HTML
...in short: intertia