all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing control keys
@ 2007-01-18 18:32 H.
From: H. @ 2007-01-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unforuntately,  left hand lacks the agility to press Ctrl and X without
diverging from the home position, and the lab keyboards at my
university lack a Ctrl key on the right.

Therefore, my two questions:
1. I assume it's possible to change individual commands to use
CAP-LOCKS instead of Ctrl, but could someone please remind me how this
is done?
2. Is there a way to universally change all commands that use one
control key to use another? (In this case, CTRL --> CAPS LOCK).

Thanks!

* Re: Changing control keys
@ 2007-01-18 18:35 ` HS
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3266.1169150000.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: HS @ 2007-01-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Most people do that by changing OS settings, isn't that a solution for
you?

H. escreveu:

> Unforuntately,  left hand lacks the agility to press Ctrl and X without
> diverging from the home position, and the lab keyboards at my
> university lack a Ctrl key on the right.
>
> Therefore, my two questions:
> 1. I assume it's possible to change individual commands to use
> CAP-LOCKS instead of Ctrl, but could someone please remind me how this
> is done?
> 2. Is there a way to universally change all commands that use one
> control key to use another? (In this case, CTRL --> CAPS LOCK).
>
> Thanks!

* Re: Changing control keys
@ 2007-01-18 19:53   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3266.1169150000.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-01-18 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

A very relevant OS setting is "sticky modifiers/keys":

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers

HS wrote:
> Most people do that by changing OS settings, isn't that a solution for
> you?
>

> H. escreveu:
>
>> Unforuntately,  left hand lacks the agility to press Ctrl and X without
>> diverging from the home position, and the lab keyboards at my
>> university lack a Ctrl key on the right.
>>
>> Therefore, my two questions:
>> 1. I assume it's possible to change individual commands to use
>> CAP-LOCKS instead of Ctrl, but could someone please remind me how this
>> is done?
>> 2. Is there a way to universally change all commands that use one
>> control key to use another? (In this case, CTRL --> CAPS LOCK).
>>
>> Thanks!

* Re: Changing control keys
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3266.1169150000.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-18 20:14     ` HS
From: HS @ 2007-01-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to swap keys in your OS, check Item 1 here:
http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/effective-emacs
-HS

Lennart Borgman (gmail) escreveu:

> A very relevant OS setting is "sticky modifiers/keys":
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers
>

> HS wrote:
> > Most people do that by changing OS settings, isn't that a solution for
> > you?
> >

> > H. escreveu:
> >
> >> Unforuntately,  left hand lacks the agility to press Ctrl and X without
> >> diverging from the home position, and the lab keyboards at my
> >> university lack a Ctrl key on the right.
> >>
> >> Therefore, my two questions:
> >> 1. I assume it's possible to change individual commands to use
> >> CAP-LOCKS instead of Ctrl, but could someone please remind me how this
> >> is done?
> >> 2. Is there a way to universally change all commands that use one
> >> control key to use another? (In this case, CTRL --> CAPS LOCK).
> >>
> >> Thanks!

* Re: Changing control keys
@ 2007-01-18 21:06 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-01-18 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Jan 2007 10:32:03 -0800 H. wrote:

> 1. I assume it's possible to change individual commands to use
> CAP-LOCKS instead of Ctrl, but could someone please remind me how this
> is done?

It's an example in the xmodmap man page.

David