Hi Johannes! Johannes Weiner writes: >> > These use mostly the same argument. Can't we generalize this? Would it hurt >> > the callsites if they all would use "[*\"()',=;? ]"? >> >> Yes, it will. A ``confusing char'' is just something Firefox or others >> can consider as a URL separator or as a variable or something when the >> website is passed as an argument to the executable, AFAIU. >> >> `?=*' for example are not usually ``confusing''. The only place those >> chars are to be converted is when we browse for a file (thus when `?=' >> don't have their special meanings). > > Ah, okay. So what about an (&optional filename) for this function? > And if it's true, the character set to be translated is "[*\"()',=;? ]" and > percent is also encoded. If ommited (nil), just "[,)$]" will be translated. > > How does that sound? Yeah, it seems like a good idea : I already added encode-percent, which had this role but didn't integrate the regexps. But it's true that if in 2013 a new web-browser adds a special meaning for `*' in its executable parameter, it'll not hurt to encode it for all the other web-browsers. Great, so we're now here :