all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autocompletion in Auctex
@ 2008-03-10 13:01 Lorenzo Isella
       [not found] ` <mailman.8646.1205155220.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-03-10 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,
I have started to use Auctex for editing my latex documents.
It generally works great, the only thing I am missing is some way to
get autocompletion for e.g. referencing and citing.
It would be great if when typing \ref{} or \cite{} I had a pop-up or a
buffer telling me what I could possibly cite/reference.
I did a bit of online research and bumped into:
http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/emacs/auc-tex/auc-tex_3.html

http://people.debian.org/~psg/elisp/   , which led me to:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/auctex/auctex/bib-cite.el?revision=5.38

This should get the job done. [Am I correct here? FYI, I am running
Debian Testing on my box and installed emacs and auctex from standard
repositories].
However, I am missing the basics, that is to say: I download and put
somewhere this bib-cite.el file; what should I write in .emacs to let
emacs know where to read it? Can I include it directly in my .emacs
file somehow?
Many thanks

Lorenzo

* Re: Autocompletion in Auctex
@ 2008-03-10 13:20 ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found] ` <mailman.8646.1205155220.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-10 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Lorenzo

"Lorenzo Isella" <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear All,
> I have started to use Auctex for editing my latex documents.
> It generally works great, the only thing I am missing is some way to
> get autocompletion for e.g. referencing and citing.
> It would be great if when typing \ref{} or \cite{} I had a pop-up or a
> buffer telling me what I could possibly cite/reference.
> I did a bit of online research and bumped into:
> http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/emacs/auc-tex/auc-tex_3.html

What you are looking for is reftex, which is very poweful for
references and cites. If you already have installed the package (I
believe it came with your Emacs or AucTeX binaries), you can put this
into your .emacs:

;;--------------------------------------------
;; RefTeX
;;--------------------------------------------
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
(setq reftex-enable-partial-scans t)
(setq reftex-save-parse-info t)
(setq reftex-use-multiple-selection-buffers t)
(setq reftex-texpath-environment-variables
      '("./inp:/PATH/TO/YOUR/TEX/DOCUMENTS//"))
(setq reftex-bibpath-environment-variables
      '("/PATH/TO/YOUR/BIB/FILE/"))

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Autocompletion in Auctex
       [not found] <mailman.8645.1205154103.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-10 13:21 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-03-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have started to use Auctex for editing my latex documents.
> It generally works great, the only thing I am missing is some way to
> get autocompletion for e.g. referencing and citing.
> It would be great if when typing \ref{} or \cite{} I had a pop-up or a
> buffer telling me what I could possibly cite/reference.

you might also try reftex, which comes with auctex. it doesn't do
autocompletion (AFAIK), but if you type C-c ) emacs opens a buffer listing
all the labels in your document, from which you can pick one. reftex takes
care of inserting the \ref command, and it is also smart about the labels
it shows you. i.e. if you type C-c ) right after the word "section", it
only shows you the section labels, etc.

reftex also handles citations, but i have no experience with it, since i
use my own code for that.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Autocompletion in Auctex
@ 2008-03-10 16:49   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> reftex also handles citations, but i have no experience with it, since i
> use my own code for that.

If you use the code I posted previously, you just have to type C-c [ and
enter a RegExp, for example the name of an author. RefTeX will, then,
parse your bib file and present all hits in a buffer from where you
can choose the correct one(s) by hitting RET (or `m' if you need more
than one citation).

@ 2008-03-16 17:53   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2008-03-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:
> --=-=-=
>
> Hi Lorenzo
>
> "Lorenzo Isella" <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I have started to use Auctex for editing my latex documents.
>> It generally works great, the only thing I am missing is some way to
>> get autocompletion for e.g. referencing and citing.
>> It would be great if when typing \ref{} or \cite{} I had a pop-up or a
>> buffer telling me what I could possibly cite/reference.
>> I did a bit of online research and bumped into:
>> http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/emacs/auc-tex/auc-tex_3.html
>
> What you are looking for is reftex, which is very poweful for
> references and cites. If you already have installed the package (I
> believe it came with your Emacs or AucTeX binaries), you can put this
> into your .emacs:

> ;;--------------------------------------------
> ;; RefTeX
> ;;--------------------------------------------
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
> (setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
> (setq reftex-enable-partial-scans t)
> (setq reftex-save-parse-info t)
> (setq reftex-use-multiple-selection-buffers t)
> (setq reftex-texpath-environment-variables
>       '("./inp:/PATH/TO/YOUR/TEX/DOCUMENTS//"))
> (setq reftex-bibpath-environment-variables
>       '("/PATH/TO/YOUR/BIB/FILE/"))

In addition 'cdlatex.el' is a realy nice add-on too! It has
autocompletion, is easy to use, great for math functions and
has, or uses reftex (I don't know), searching for references
and 'cites' as well. An other great feature is the
navigation using 'TAB'. You are to jump out of brackets and
environments pretty easyly!

Greetings!
 Fabian