all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can I type text without changing my current cursor point?
@ 2009-03-11 17:01 ithiel
From: ithiel @ 2009-03-11 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'm almost sure I saw this once, I just can recall the sequence.
What I want to do is to hit C+something and then type but have my cursor
stay in its current point and not move forward. Then I can somehow exit this
mode (ESC) and type some text which will be inserted in between. This could
be useful to type a prefix, a suffix and then the content without having to
move the cursor back.

TIA :)

* Can I type text without changing my current cursor point?
@ 2009-03-12  6:46 ithai levi
       [not found] ` <mailman.3006.1237105211.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ithai levi @ 2009-03-12  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm almost sure I saw this once, I just can recall the sequence.
What I want to do is to hit C+something and then type but have my cursor
stay in its current point and not move forward. Then I can somehow exit this
mode (ESC) and type some text which will be inserted in between. This could
be useful to type a prefix, a suffix and then the content without having to
move the cursor back.
Example:

I would type "obj.method(" then press C+? then type "); // a comment", press
ESC and type "1,2,3" without moving the cursor.

(what I do now is use C+SPC to set the mark, type and then press C+x C+SPC
to go back to the mark)

TIA :)

* Re: Can I type text without changing my current cursor point?
@ 2009-03-12 10:29 ` dIbMx2
       [not found] ` <mailman.3006.1237105211.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: dIbMx2 @ 2009-03-12 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ithai levi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ithai levi <ithai.levi@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm almost sure I saw this once, I just can recall the sequence.
> What I want to do is to hit C+something and then type but have my cursor stay in its current point
> and not move forward. Then I can somehow exit this mode (ESC) and type some text which will be
> inserted in between. This could be useful to type a prefix, a suffix and then the content without
> having to move the cursor back.
>
> Example:
>
> I would type "obj.method(" then press C+? then type "); // a comment", press ESC and type "1,2,3"
> without moving the cursor.
>
> (what I do now is use C+SPC to set the mark, type and then press C+x C+SPC to go back to the mark)
>
> TIA :)

cua-set-rectangle-mark   C+return

@ 2009-03-15 18:25   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dIbMx2 wrote:
> ithai levi <ithai.levi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm almost sure I saw this once, I just can recall the sequence.
>> What I want to do is to hit C+something and then type but have my cursor stay in its current point
>> and not move forward. Then I can somehow exit this mode (ESC) and type some text which will be
>> inserted in between. This could be useful to type a prefix, a suffix and then the content without
>> having to move the cursor back.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> I would type "obj.method(" then press C+? then type "); // a comment", press ESC and type "1,2,3"
>> without moving the cursor.
>>
>> (what I do now is use C+SPC to set the mark, type and then press C+x C+SPC to go back to the mark)
>>
>> TIA :)
>
> cua-set-rectangle-mark   C+return

obj.method("C-spc"); // comment C-x C-x will put you after the first
quotation mark via exchange-point-and-mark-nomark. This isn't exactly
the same as pop-global-mark, which you are using now. C-x C-x is
slightly easier than C-x C-spc. I put it on one keychord with:

(global-set-key [(super <SPC>)] 'exchange-point-and-mark-nomark)

but I'm a little hazy on the vector notation. The .... -nomark feature
may be an artifact of pc-selection-mode.

Ed