all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs locks up after $('
@ 2009-05-22 23:18 Dave Cohen
From: Dave Cohen @ 2009-05-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm a longtime emacs user, new to this group, and looking for help.

I'm editing a file in "JavaScript Moz" mode, and I type, in the middle
of a long file of javascript code:
$('

followed by some characters (depending on how quickly I type them).
Then emacs stops accepting input, and hogs all the system CPU.  Until
I have to kill the process, losing whatever I was in the middle of.
Very frustrating.

What is this sequence of characters making emacs do, and how do I
prevent this or recover from it?

Thanks for any help.

-Dave

* Re: emacs locks up after $('
@ 2009-05-22 23:24 ` Dave Cohen
From: Dave Cohen @ 2009-05-22 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It turns out that simly:

('

Is all I need to type to bring emacs (and my system) to its knees.
But not just anywhere in the file, although in one place this is
reproduced every time.  And not if I change the mode to text-mode.

What's going on?

* Re: emacs locks up after $('
@ 2009-05-23  6:25   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-05-23  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 22, 4:24 pm, Dave Cohen <goo...@dave-cohen.com> wrote:
> It turns out that simly:
>
> ('
>
> Is all I need to type to bring emacs (and my system) to its knees.
> But not just anywhere in the file, although in one place this is
> reproduced every time.  And not if I change the mode to text-mode.
>
> What's going on?

sounds like parsing bug or regex bug in the mode.

You might want to give the exact reproduction steps here... alone with
a short test lines.

I dont' know what's javascript moz mode.. got url handy?

but if you just want javascript mode, might try js2 mode.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs locks up after $('
@ 2009-05-23 11:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-05-23 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Dave Cohen <google@dave-cohen.com>
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I'm editing a file in "JavaScript Moz" mode, and I type, in the middle
> of a long file of javascript code:
> $('
>
> followed by some characters (depending on how quickly I type them).
> Then emacs stops accepting input, and hogs all the system CPU.  Until
> I have to kill the process, losing whatever I was in the middle of.

If you type C-g when this happens, does it help to unlock Emacs,
so you don't lose your edits?

If C-g does unlock Emacs, try typing (' again, after setting
debug-on-quit to t.  Then, when you type C-g, Emacs should present a
backtrace, which might help to find the code that hangs.

Anyway, what version of Emacs is that, and what .el file do you use
for the "JavaScript Moz" mode?

* Re: emacs locks up after $('
@ 2009-05-25  7:14 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-05-25  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Fri, 22 May 2009 16:18:13 -0700 (PDT),
Dave Cohen <google@dave-cohen.com> wrote:

> I'm a longtime emacs user, new to this group, and looking for help.
>
> I'm editing a file in "JavaScript Moz" mode, and I type, in the middle
> of a long file of javascript code:
> $('

Looks like you're using Karl Landstrom's JavaScript-mode. What version
are you using? 2.2.1 seems to be current, I had no problems with 2.0
Beta 8. moz-minor-mode shouldn't cause such a problem but maybe
you can turn it off and try without it?

What version of emacs are you using? Do the problems also occur when
you don't load your other customizations? You would need to start
emacs with the -q switch, load javascript.el manually, e.g. with
M-x load-file or `L' in dired-mode. You'd also need to enable
javascript-mode explicitly with M-x javascript-mode.

There's also a recent fork of javascript-mode, maybe it's worth
trying? => http://www.nongnu.org/espresso/

HTH,

Anselm

--