all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info>
To: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
	Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: url-retrieve-synchronously and coding
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:47:16 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 24 2011, Lennart Borgman wrote:

> It looks to me like url-insert-file-contents is a code place for
> decoding. So I suggest the following:
>
> 1) Move the decoding from url-insert to url-insert-file-contents.

I'd like to be able to use the coding detection code and decoding on
already retrieved buffer, so this can be used in
url-insert-file-contents, but it must be a autonomous function that I
can call myself.

> 2) Replace the call to decode-coding-inserted-region in
> url-insert-file-contents with something that also takes care of xml
> encoding and similar things.
>
> But I wonder what to use for 2. Something like Julien suggested seems
> good to me. If no entry is find (or used) in
> mm-decoder-helper-functions then probably
> decode-coding-inserted-region should be called.

Sounds good.

> This of course means that the functions for decoding should be in
> url-handlers.el (which Julien objected against).

Why cannot be it in mm (or another possibly new package)?

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info