all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com>
To: erc-discuss@gnu.org
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: STARTTLS for erc
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:44:47 +0200	[thread overview]

23/06/11 14:24, Ted Zlatanov
> LMI> And this would be somewhat brittle.  If a server goes from one type
> LMI> (supporting STARTTLS) to another (not supporting STARTTLS), it might
> LMI> mean that the next login might fail.
>
> I think that's really rare, unless you're hitting a DNS round-robin.

That's not so rare, the big IRC servers (for instance, irc.freenode.org)
redirect to subservers (like hitchcock.freenode.net) which might or
might not support TLS. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking
about?

If it's not possible to have a clean opportunistic STARTTLS for ERC,
it's probably best to just leave it alone IMHO. Storing a flag to
connect via TLS next time just seems too hackish, and the benefits are
minimal. Also, TLS connections to IRC servers take ages, so it's
probably not a good idea to turn this on by default, which means users
would have to turn it on manually, and they can just as well call
erc-tls if they know the server supports it.