all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: How to get/force specific header entries in a new message?
@ 2011-11-23 16:38 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-23 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

When I open a new message, it has the following message head:

From: My Name <my.name@uni.edu>
Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-11

I saw on http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html that I can specify which headers are visible via something like:

(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Newsgroups:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Followup-To:\\|^Reply-To:\\|^Organization:\\|^Summary:\\|^Keywords:\\|^To:\\|^[BGF]?Cc:\\|^Posted-To:\\|^Mail-Copies-To:\\|^Mail-Followup-To:\\|^Apparently-To:\\|^Gnus-Warning:\\|^Resent-From:")

That's the default of gnus-visible-headers. However, comparing with the above, one sees that not all of these headers/entries are actually displayed… How can I specify that the following headers are always shown in a new message?

Bcc:

[I already read that with gnus-sorted-header-list one can order the entries such that they appear in the above order, so that should not be a problem]

Cheers,

Marius

PS: Most likely the last Gnus question for today :-)

* Re: Gnus: How to get/force specific header entries in a new message?
@ 2011-11-23 18:30 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> I saw on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
> that I can specify which headers are visible via something like:
>
> (setq gnus-visible-headers
>       ...)
>
> That's the default of gnus-visible-headers. However, comparing with
> the above, one sees that not all of these headers/entries are actually
> displayed… How can I specify that the following headers are always
> shown in a new message?

`gnus-visible-headers' controls the visible headers in an article buffer
(gnus-article-mode).  That's something different than the message-mode
that you have when writing new messages.

For the headers you get in message-mode, have a look at this variable
and the referenced ones.

,----[ C-h v message-generate-headers-first RET ]

`----

> PS: Most likely the last Gnus question for today :-)

I wouldn't bet any money on that. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Gnus: How to get/force specific header entries in a new message?
@ 2011-11-23 18:40 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-11-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 23 2011,Marius Hofert wrote:

> Hi,

[snipped 18 lines]

Not clear whether it's a new mail message or viewing a message....

> Bcc:
>
> [I already read that with gnus-sorted-header-list one can order the
> entries such that they appear in the above order, so that should not
> be a problem]
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marius
>
> PS: Most likely the last Gnus question for today :-)

It's this

gnus-extra-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
Its value is (To Bcc)

Documentation:
*Extra headers to parse.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 24.1 of Emacs.

OR

message-default-headers is a variable defined in `message.el'.
Its value is ""

Documentation:
Header lines to be inserted in outgoing messages.
This can be set to a string containing or a function returning
header lines to be inserted before you edit the message, so you
can edit or delete these lines.  If set to a function, it is
called and its result is inserted.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 23.2 of Emacs.

[back]

 sivaram

* Re: Gnus: How to get/force specific header entries in a new message?
@ 2011-11-24  9:11   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tassilo,

I played around with message-generate-headers-first, message-required-mail-headers, and message-required-mail-headers as follows:

1) (setq message-generate-headers-first t); generate all required headers
2) (setq message-required-mail-headers
  '(To Cc Bcc Subject From (optional . In-Reply-To) Date Message-ID (optional . User-Agent))
  message-required-headers '((optional . References)))
3) (setq gnus-sorted-header-list '("^To:" "^Cc:" "^Bcc:" "^Subject:" "^From:" "^Date:" "^Message-ID")); sort the headers

With only 2) I get
Gcc:
From:
=> Where are Cc, Bcc,…?
With 2) and 3) the same happens (well, no surprise).

With 1) and 2), I am asked for To, Cc, and Bcc and the header looks like this:

To: foo@bar.com
Cc: foo
Bcc: bar
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:46:51 +0100
From: My Name <my.name@uni.edu>

Is there a way of _not_ being asked and just show empty entries (as for Subject above)? Furthermore, with 1) and 3), I'm not asked anymore, but I obtain:

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:51:43 +0100
From: My Name <my.name@uni.edu>

The same happens with just 1) [without 3)]. Why is the sorting not correct?

Cheers,

Marius

PS: Adjusting gnus-extra-headers [suggested by Sivaram] did not work (in the sense that it didn't change anything). As far as I understood this variable, it specifies *extra* headers, not the default ones I would like to adjust.

@ 2011-11-24  9:43     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> I played around with message-generate-headers-first,
> message-required-mail-headers, and message-required-mail-headers as
> follows:
>
> 1) (setq message-generate-headers-first t); generate all required headers
> 2) (setq message-required-mail-headers
>   '(To Cc Bcc Subject From (optional . In-Reply-To) Date Message-ID (optional . User-Agent))
>   message-required-headers '((optional . References)))
> 3) (setq gnus-sorted-header-list '("^To:" "^Cc:" "^Bcc:" "^Subject:" "^From:"
> "^Date:" "^Message-ID")); sort the headers

Again, `gnus-sorted-header-list' is only relevant for article buffers
(reading mail), not message-mode buffers (writing mail).

> With only 2) I get
> Gcc:
> From:
> => Where are Cc, Bcc,…?
> With 2) and 3) the same happens (well, no surprise).

Yeah, you didn't want to generate them beforehand.

> With 1) and 2), I am asked for To, Cc, and Bcc and the header looks like this:
>
> To: foo@bar.com
> Cc: foo
> Bcc: bar
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:46:51 +0100
> From: My Name <my.name@uni.edu>
>
> Is there a way of _not_ being asked and just show empty entries (as
> for Subject above)?

Hm, not sure.  I'd expected to be queried only for (optional . Foo)
entries, but I've never customized anything here.

BTW, why do you want Cc and Bcc to show up everytime?  Do you really
need to Cc and Bcc different people in each and every mail?

Most probably, you really want to use posting styles again.  That way,
you could define that when mailing from all of your uni groups, a Cc
header with value your-prof@your-uni.de will be inserted or something
along these lines.

> Furthermore, with 1) and 3), I'm not asked anymore, but I obtain:
> [...]
> The same happens with just 1) [without 3)]. Why is the sorting not correct?

The sorting *is* correct in *article* buffers, cause that's what you've
customized.

> PS: Adjusting gnus-extra-headers [suggested by Sivaram] did not work
> (in the sense that it didn't change anything). As far as I understood
> this variable, it specifies *extra* headers, not the default ones I
> would like to adjust.

Yeah, it specifies what extra variable Gnus should store in its overview
files.  For example, if you'd want to display the contents of the
X-Foobar header in your summary, then you'd need that to be in
`gnus-extra-headers', because else Gnus would have to fetch any article
in order to get that header in order to display it in summary.  Clearly,
that wouldn't scale if a summary contains thousands of messages.

Bye,
Tassilo