all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05  6:14 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-05  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Emacsers,

I don't seem to be able to control my time display.

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2011-03-04 on palmer, modified by Debian

emacs -Q -l foo

where foo contains

(setq display-time-24h-format t)
(setq display-time-load-average t)
(display-time)

I still get the same display as if I had not set the variables.
I would like 24h format (currently I get AM/PM format)
I would like no load average or email flag.   (currently I get them).

I'm trying t for both these variables since
the default, nil, shows these unwanted things.

Thanks,

Silvio

* Re: display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05  7:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-01-05  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:14:06 -0800
> From: Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org>
>
> I don't seem to be able to control my time display.
>
> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2011-03-04 on palmer, modified by Debian
>
> emacs -Q -l foo
>
> where foo contains
>
> (setq display-time-24h-format t)
> (setq display-time-load-average t)
> (display-time)
>
> I still get the same display as if I had not set the variables.

If I replace 24h with 24hr, I get what you want.

If you really used 24hr, then all I can say is that I cannot reproduce
this problem.

* Re: display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05  7:27 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-05  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, Eli.  Indeed I had the wrong name for the 24h variable.

Do you have any light to shed on display-time-load-average?

Whether the file "foo" contains this text

(setq display-time-load-average t)
(display-time)

or the same text with "nil" instead of "t", the result of

/usr/bin/emacs -Q -l foo

is the same: the load average is shown, and also, querying the value
of the variable with C-h v gives this: (with 0 either way)

   display-time-load-average is a variable defined in `time.el'.
   Its value is 0

   Documentation:
   Load average currently being shown in mode line.

(I suppose I could instead set display-time-load-average-threshold to
a high value, which does work. Or I could try
display-time-string-forms. But somehow I'd like to understand how
display-time-load-average is mean to be used...)

Silvio

* Re: display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05 12:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-01-05 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> cc: levy@msri.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:27:02 -0800
>
> Do you have any light to shed on display-time-load-average?
>
> Whether the file "foo" contains this text
>
> (setq display-time-load-average t)
> (display-time)
>
> or the same text with "nil" instead of "t", the result of
>
> /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l foo
>
> is the same: the load average is shown

That's expected: display-time-load-average is not a user option.  It
is the value of the load average shown in the mode line.

> (I suppose I could instead set display-time-load-average-threshold to
> a high value, which does work.

That is the right way of disabling the load average display.

* Re: display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05 18:17 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-05 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> That's expected: display-time-load-average is not a user option.  It
> is the value of the load average shown in the mode line.

Thank you for clarifying that. I would suggest in that case that
"Its value is 0" as a result of C-h v  is misleading, as it negates
the description "Load average currently being shown in mode line",
which would otherwise be clear.

Best wishes,

Silvio

* Re: display-time-* variables
@ 2012-01-05 21:51   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2012-01-05 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 07:02:07 -0500 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> cc: levy@msri.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> From: Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org>
>> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:27:02 -0800
>>
>> Do you have any light to shed on display-time-load-average?
>>
>> Whether the file "foo" contains this text
>>
>> (setq display-time-load-average t)
>> (display-time)
>>
>> or the same text with "nil" instead of "t", the result of
>>
>> /usr/bin/emacs -Q -l foo
>>
>> is the same: the load average is shown
>
> That's expected: display-time-load-average is not a user option.  It
> is the value of the load average shown in the mode line.
>
>> (I suppose I could instead set display-time-load-average-threshold to
>> a high value, which does work.
>
> That is the right way of disabling the load average display.

There's also this:

,----
| display-time-default-load-average is a variable defined in `time.el'.
| Its value is nil
| Original value was 0
|
| Documentation:
| Which load average value will be shown in the mode line.
| Almost every system can provide values of load for past 1 minute, past 5 or
| past 15 minutes.  The default is to display 1 minute load average.
| The value can be one of:
|
|   0   => 1 minute load
|   1   => 5 minutes load
|   2   => 15 minutes load
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Setting it to `none' (i.e. nil) disables the load average display in the
mode line.

Steve Berman