Wei Liu writes: > Hi all Hello. > I find that vc-git takes quite a lot of time to load, both in Emacs 23 > and Emacs snapshot. On my dev machine it takes up to 21 seconds. :-( > > I don't want to disable vc-mode entirely, I just want to make sure > that vc-git doesn' t get loaded when I don't need it. See variable vc-handled-backends. If you need it sometimes, just set the variable temporarily back, e.g. using directory-local variables. > There was a topic [0] on this issue on stackoverflow. I took the > advice to remove vc-find-file-hook from fine-file-hook list, thus > speeding up Emacs a lot. But when I save file, vc-git gets loaded once > again, which consumes 21 seconds. So my questions are a) how to > disable this save file hook (I grepped in vc-*.el, didn't find > save-*-hook), b) are there any other hooks I need to take care of? a) Probably don't need that. b) Same as a. > Extra questions (to developers and/or Emacs gurus): Why is vc-git so > slow (see [0] for profiling details)? Is there a genuine way to fix > this? Dunno, when viewing my local Emacs repo it isn't slow. I don't want to clone the kernel repo though. -- Carl Lei (XeCycle) Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University OpenPGP public key: 7795E591 Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591