all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* capture gtk kill (gnome alt-f4) (delete-event?)
@ 2012-05-26  5:19 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-05-26  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.,

is there a way I can capture alt-f4 (in gnome) and act within Emacs.?

This is because, recent times, I am killing Emacs by mistake with
alt-f4.

I am longing for a function which captures alt-f4 event and ask me for
confirmation in all circumstances.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: capture gtk kill (gnome alt-f4) (delete-event?)
@ 2012-05-26  5:26 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-26  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

> Hello.,
>
> is there a way I can capture alt-f4 (in gnome) and act within Emacs.?
>
> This is because, recent times, I am killing Emacs by mistake with
> alt-f4.
>
> I am longing for a function which captures alt-f4 event and ask me for
> confirmation in all circumstances.

Don't think there will be one, since it may or may not work.

The key is received by X server, then goes to whichever program
that binds this key; if the key is first bound by the window
manager, it may or may not allow rebinds of it.

You'd better play with it in your window manager.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: capture gtk kill (gnome alt-f4) (delete-event?)
@ 2012-05-26  6:28   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-05-26  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello XeCycle,

Thanks for the reply.,

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com> writes:

[…]
>> I am longing for a function which captures alt-f4 event and ask me for
>> confirmation in all circumstances.
>
> Don't think there will be one, since it may or may not work.
>
> The key is received by X server, then goes to whichever program
> that binds this key; if the key is first bound by the window
> manager, it may or may not allow rebinds of it.

I thought it is possible since Emacs is asking for confirmation(with
unsaved buffer exist) when I click [X] button with mouse on a Emacs frame.

They are the same signals., aren't they?

PS: FWIW I am using Gtk(2.20.1-2), Gnome (2.30.2) on Debian squeeze.
Thanks.,
--

@ 2012-05-26  7:36     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw