Perry Smith writes: > I have the belief that byte compiling only helps with loading files > and that once they are loaded, the code will execute at the same > speed. > > Is that correct? No. Check (info "(elisp)Byte Compilation"). > Byte compiling all my personal files is a bit awkward for a couple of > reasons. I considering not doing it any more but wanted to know all > the tradeoffs Give it a try. Your code executes faster and the compiler warnings are useful in most cases. You can implement automatic byte compilation by customising load-source-file-function. Here is my auto-compile implementation.