all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
@ 2013-07-05 16:47 Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2013-07-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?

Thanks.

cs

* Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
@ 2013-07-05 16:57 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.358.1373045351.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

> Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is
> pressed to enter a command?

I don't know, but if you find out, please tell us (me).

The closest I got was

(set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt "green")

but it only applies (which makes sense) to the *face* when you are
*prompted* for an argument, i.e., it really doesn't have anything
to do with the M-x string (except that both are displayed in the
minibuffer).

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
@ 2013-07-05 17:04 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-07-05 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Seberino; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Seberino [2013-07-05 09:47:10 -07:00] wrote:

> Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed
> to enter a command?

The prompt is hard-coded (a literal string) in the function
"read-extended-command".

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
@ 2013-07-05 17:29   ` Bob Proulx
       [not found]   ` <mailman.358.1373045351.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-07-05 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Chris Seberino writes:
> > Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is
> > pressed to enter a command?
>
> I don't know, but if you find out, please tell us (me).
>
> The closest I got was
>
> (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt "green")
>
> but it only applies (which makes sense) to the *face* when you are
> *prompted* for an argument, i.e., it really doesn't have anything
> to do with the M-x string (except that both are displayed in the
> minibuffer).

I always set this:

  (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)

That displays the prompt in the default face, in my case white.

Bob

@ 2013-07-05 20:23     ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2013-07-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, July 5, 2013 12:29:04 PM UTC-5, Bob Proulx wrote:

>   (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)

nil gave an error for me....

Also setting to background color allows one to hide the "M-x".
The problem is that that also hides EVERY command prompt..not just "M-x"!

* Re: Possible to alter the "M-x" string that is displayed when M-x is pressed to enter a command?
@ 2013-07-05 21:07       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.377.1373067609.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-05 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

>> (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)
>
> nil gave an error for me

For me, it works - I get the default face (cyan - `M-x
describe-face default') - but - why set it to nil, instead of the
color of your choice?

I like it green to make it distinct from the input string, which
is - cyan. I don't know if this face has a name to - perhaps not,
as auto-completion only gives me minibuffer-prompt on minibuffer-

> Also setting to background color allows one to hide the "M-x".
> The problem is that that also hides EVERY command prompt..not
> just "M-x"!

*Laughter*! Yes. Perhaps we have lost focus, by now? :)

--

@ 2013-07-05 23:40         ` Bob Proulx
       [not found]         ` <mailman.377.1373067609.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-07-05 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Chris Seberino writes:
> >> (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)
> >
> > nil gave an error for me
>
> For me, it works - I get the default face (cyan - `M-x
> describe-face default') - but - why set it to nil, instead of the
> color of your choice?

Because then it uses the default face which I have already set
elsewhere.  Keeping it DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself.  I already set the
color I wanted in one location.  I don't want to set that color again
in an additional location.  :-)

Bob

@ 2013-07-05 23:59           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-05 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

>> > nil gave an error for me
>>
>> For me, it works - I get the default face (cyan - `M-x
>> describe-face default') - but - why set it to nil, instead of
>> the color of your choice?
>
> Because then it uses the default face which I have already set
> elsewhere.  Keeping it DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself.  I already
> set the color I wanted in one location.  I don't want to set
> that color again in an additional location.  :-)

Haha, crazy stuff.

But seriously, that principle you mention is a very healthy one
and since I started to stick to it pedantically the amount of
debugging has dropped sharp. It may look silly with

const int days_in_a_week = 7;

but as soon as I have two 7's appearing in computation (meaning
that) I set it up. It is not only a protection against typos, but
also against sloppy search-and-replaces.