all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Removing the last entry from the kill-ring
@ 2014-01-12 17:30 Cecil Westerhof
       [not found] ` <mailman.11719.1389550093.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2014-01-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wrote the following function, to copy the current buffer to a
temporary buffer:
    (defun dcbl-buffer-to-temp ()
      (interactive)
      (let ((buffer-name (generate-new-buffer-name "tempory-edit")))
        (copy-region-as-kill (point-min) (point-max))
        (switch-to-buffer buffer-name)
        (yank)))

This works OK (I think) except for one problem: there is an entry
added to the kill-ring. Is there a way to remove this?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Removing the last entry from the kill-ring
@ 2014-01-12 18:07 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.11719.1389550093.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-01-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Cecil,

> I wrote the following function, to copy the current buffer to a
> temporary buffer:
>     (defun dcbl-buffer-to-temp ()
>       (interactive)
>       (let ((buffer-name (generate-new-buffer-name "tempory-edit")))
>         (copy-region-as-kill (point-min) (point-max))
>         (switch-to-buffer buffer-name)
>         (yank)))
>
> This works OK (I think) except for one problem: there is an entry
> added to the kill-ring. Is there a way to remove this?

Just don't use the kill-ring and its commands for that.  I.e. use
e.g. `buffer-substring[-no-properties]' for copying and `insert' for
pasting.

Regards,

Michael.

@ 2014-01-12 21:45   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2014-01-12 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Op Sunday 12 Jan 2014 19:07 CET schreef Michael Heerdegen:

> Hi Cecil,
>
>> I wrote the following function, to copy the current buffer to a
>> temporary buffer:
>> (defun dcbl-buffer-to-temp ()
>> (interactive)
>> (let ((buffer-name (generate-new-buffer-name "tempory-edit")))
>> (copy-region-as-kill (point-min) (point-max))
>> (switch-to-buffer buffer-name)
>> (yank)))
>>
>> This works OK (I think) except for one problem: there is an entry
>> added to the kill-ring. Is there a way to remove this?
>
> Just don't use the kill-ring and its commands for that.  I.e. use
> e.g. `buffer-substring[-no-properties]' for copying and `insert' for
> pasting.

Thanks. I changed it to:
    (defun dcbl-buffer-to-temp ()
      (interactive)
      (let ((buffer-name (generate-new-buffer-name "tempory-edit"))
            (text        (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))
        (switch-to-buffer buffer-name)
        (insert text)))

--
Cecil Westerhof