Eli Zaretskii writes: > I suggested to have this feature first based on the existing > infrastructure, i.e. in another window. This should be easy to > implement, and will allow collecting user experience which we > currently lack. Then decision of whether we need a new UI, and which > one, will be based on something, rather than on thin air. OK, I've hacked up a little demonstrator. Load the attached file and eval-buffer it (preferably with 'emacs -Q', that's how I tested it). Then move point over an Emacs function; hitting 'C-c e' will open the quick-edit window with the function's definition, and 'C-c c' will close it. Problems I've noticed so far: - mode-line-format is buffer-local, so you cannot deactivate it only for the upper window. That means, while in quick-edit, you will have no mode-line at all. - You cannot set a different background color for a complete window. You can only do that with an overlay, but that will only cover the parts with text. - Of course, you can easily mess things up be leaving/closing the window otherwise. In a nutshell, it'd be nice to have something like 'window-local' variables for this. -David