Drew Adams writes: > I will add that one increasingly important use of `...' is that > doc gets copied and pasted to other, non-Emacs environments. > > You might think that `...' is "ugly" (and that is the ONLY > reason that's been given so far for changing it), but it has > the distinct advantage that it is a unique way of quoting > that separates itself from both strings ("...") and ordinary > text quoting (curly quotes, double and single). > > If you post doc pieces into a context such as Stack Exchange, > for example, you need only change the ' in `...' to `, to > have that new context also, like Emacs, treat the quoted > sexp specially - not a ordinary quoted text. That is, SE > uses `...` instead of `...', but it does the same thing > Emacs does, to make the result stand out as code and not as > just any old quoted text. > > If you change `...' to ordinary curly quoting, you lose > distinguishing what it quotes as code. > > Just one more consideration, another reason why the proposed > change is a bad idea, IMHO. I agree with you. Maybe a compromise could be to add as an alternative syntax `...` (just like SE or Markdown)? It would then fix the unbalanced quotes issue. Nico -- Nicolas Petton http://nicolas-petton.fr