all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* make variable-pitch-mode pretty like eww?
@ 2016-06-03 21:49 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-06-03 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Eww is really good at making nice proportional-font "columns".  Is it
possible to leverage eww’s pixel alignment in "normal" text documents when
I use variable-pitch-mode?

Preferably, I’d like my align-fill’ed lines to be "reflowed" into nice
columns.  Alternatively, I could have a single paragraph per line if
something like visual-line-mode could be tamed to make "reasonable"
columns, like eww.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Together we will make the possible totalllly impossible!

* Re: make variable-pitch-mode pretty like eww?
@ 2016-06-06 22:41 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-06-06 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Eww is really good at making nice proportional-font "columns".  Is it
> possible to leverage eww’s pixel alignment in "normal" text documents
> when I use variable-pitch-mode?
>
> Preferably, I’d like my align-fill’ed lines to be "reflowed" into nice
> columns.  Alternatively, I could have a single paragraph per line if
> something like visual-line-mode could be tamed to make "reasonable"
> columns, like eww.

That should not be hard, but somebody would have to do it (maybe create
a bug report if none about this exists yet).

What eww does is quite simple: it walks through the text line by
line, looks how wide the text is and adds line breaks etc.  You could
probably reuse most of eww's code.

Michael.

* Re: make variable-pitch-mode pretty like eww?
@ 2016-06-07  9:16   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-06-07  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Eww is really good at making nice proportional-font "columns".  Is it
>> possible to leverage eww’s pixel alignment in "normal" text documents
>> when I use variable-pitch-mode?
>>
>> Preferably, I’d like my align-fill’ed lines to be "reflowed" into nice
>> columns.  Alternatively, I could have a single paragraph per line if
>> something like visual-line-mode could be tamed to make "reasonable"
>> columns, like eww.
>
> That should not be hard, but somebody would have to do it (maybe create
> a bug report if none about this exists yet).
>
> What eww does is quite simple: it walks through the text line by
> line, looks how wide the text is and adds line breaks etc.  You could
> probably reuse most of eww's code.

Do you know which are the key functions to examine to get started?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
To err is human. To screw up 10⁶ times per second, you need a computer

* Re: make variable-pitch-mode pretty like eww?
@ 2016-06-07 15:07     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-06-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 11:16:30 +0200
>
> > What eww does is quite simple: it walks through the text line by
> > line, looks how wide the text is and adds line breaks etc.  You could
> > probably reuse most of eww's code.
>
> Do you know which are the key functions to examine to get started?

I'd suggest to start at shr-fill-lines.