Drew Adams writes: >> >> I'm using a certain command very often from the menus and using my >> >> mouse. It is 'search -> replace -> global' but how can I assign a keymap >> >> to it please so that I'm able to call it from within my document please? >> > >> > What menu is that (I don't see it)? >> > >> > Anyway, do this: `C-h k' followed by picking the menu item that you >> > want to assign a key to. That will tell you what the command is >> > that that menu item invokes. >> > >> > Then do `C-h w' followed by that command name, to see if it is >> > already on a keyboard key sequence, in addition to being bound >> > to that menu item. >> > >> > If it has no keyboard binding, give it one, using `global-set-key'. >> > >> > You can use `M-x global-set-key' interactively, to try it out. >> > You can use `(global-set-key (kbd "...") 'COMMAND)' in your init >> > file to get the binding persistently, where "..." is the key >> > sequence you want and COMMAND is the command you want to bind >> > it to. >> >> Thanks for this Drew. >> >> To find what I'm talking about 'Menu-bar -> Search -> Replace -> Global' > > I don't see that menu. You should mention the details about your > Emacs version/installation. With `emacs -Q' (no init file) I see > the Search menu under the Edit menu on the menu-bar. I see no > Search menu on the menu-bar. But it might also depend on what mode > you are in etc. Sorry Drew, those details are in my sig at the bottom of all my emails. The menu-bar is open in every buffer and mode, as I do still use it a lot. > >> and the command that it generates is 'replace-string'. So I've assigned >> a keyboard binding to it and its now working well, thanks. > > Good. But how did you find which command is bound to it, if `C-h k' > doesn't work for you? I used 'F1 k'. Because I can't use 'C-h whatever' I try and use 'F1 whatever'. > >> But this problem has thrown up a difficulty for me, in that I can't use >> 'C-h k'! If I try it it always just shows the 'k', and ditto 'C-h w'! >> How can I find what it has been mapped to please? > > Others have responded to this question. Try f1 if C-h doesn't seem > to work. Thanks Sharon. -- A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk DrugFacts = http://www.drugfacts.org.uk Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1