Emanuel Berg writes: > Sharon Kimble wrote: > >> And that's what I did, with very good support >> form Drew giving me very explicit >> instructions which helped resolve the problem >> by showing me, eventually, where the problem >> was. All kudos to Drew! > > This is his favorite method. I think he even > got a name for it - "binary search", right? > > While there is no denying its advantages, with > your situation, it seems you have a lot of > configs and probably you should make the code > more modular, so changes in one part is easy to > pinpoint and have less or no impact on > everything else. > > If you are using a module, say module M, you > can create a file for configs for that module > alone, say my-M.el, which has (require 'M) as > the first line, and then load that file from > .emacs. My config is an org-mode file, with almost all code blocks in their own module, plus I'm also timestamping each module so its also possible to navigate using either Imenu or my date-stamps. > Incidentally, this doesn't prevent binary > search, tho - it won't be perfectly binary > anymore :) - as you can then just comment out > the line(s) in .emacs that loads the module(s). > > If you byte-compile the code, the compiler will > help you determine what code interferes with > what other, and you can remedy that by moving > around stuff and adding more pairs of `require' > and `provide'. Every change to my config.org and the file is auto-compiled so that when I restart emacs I don't have to wait for config.el to be generated. Sometimes its a bit tiresome waiting for it to be generated but overall it works very well. Thanks Sharon. -- A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.7