all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
To: "R. Diez" <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de>
Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
	Jay Kamat <jaygkamat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Separate area at the top for a serious tab bar
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:28:00 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2018-06-25, at 08:24, R. Diez <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de> wrote:

>> [...]
>> I would highly reccomend giving the buffer
>> based workflow a try, however. Once I tried seriously
>> dropping tabs, I can't imagine going back to a tabbed workflow.
>> [...]
>
> You are not the first with that kind of suggestion.

And not the last. ;-)

> I still have not seen what makes that "buffer based workflow" better. Sometimes I do use ibuffer to clean buffers up, or to find some buffer I 'lost', but tabs give you a kind of positional orientation that is hard to beat.

1. Scalability.  I have around 250 buffers open now, and I'm only at
about 4 days emacs-uptime and on vacation. ;-)

2. Regex-based switching to tabs (I use Ivy).

Though I understand the "positional orientation" idea.

> I do not switch buffers with the mouse. I use Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down to navigate the tab bar. With Ctrl+Shift+Up and Ctrl+Shift+Down I can reorder the tabs with the keyboard. I do this all the time, so that the buffers I am working on at the moment are near each other.
>
> By the way, those are exactly the keys that Firefox uses for its tabbar.

I plan to ditch the Firefox tabs, too, and use EXWM, so that I can make
the tabbar->buffer kind of switch in web browsing, too.  (BTW, those
keys don't work in my FF.)

> For example, when working on C/C++ code, I place the .h and .cpp files next to each other, the .h file to the left, and the .cpp file to the right. I know I can open the other one with 'other', but that is not reliable, for example, if the .h file is not next to the .cpp file, but in some other include/ directory. If I am moving code, I place the old source file to the left, and the new one next to it, to the right, so switching is immediate. I can open a script and have next to it a shell to test it out. And many such pairs happily coexist in the same, long tabbar.

That is indeed neat, but isn't it fragile?  It depends on you, the user,
ordering the tabs.  This looks like something a computer could do.  I'd
probably write a small Elisp command to do that kind of buffer switch
for me.  With something like projectile it should probably be at most
a few lines of code, even if the "other" file is in some other
directory.

Also, I use windows/frames for similar things.

/me thinking

Thanks for a blog post idea.  While I don't code in C-whatever, this
might be useful more generally.  JS web apps could benefit from that,
and LaTeX to some extent, too.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski