Michael Heerdegen writes: > Actually, it's not even trivial at all. Setting alist-get as place > could also build a new alist, leaving the one stored in the ALIST place > intact, and set place ALIST to the new list. But it potentially > modifies the list stored in place ALIST. That's not inevitable, so it > could be worth telling that. I tried that - see the draft at the end of the message. And I tried to cover everything that has been noted here to some degree while still keeping the docstring fluent and at an acceptable length. I did not touch the manual, maybe someone else wants to give that a try?