all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#38660: ange-ftp.el grammar
@ 2019-12-18  4:06 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2019-12-18  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 38660

/usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/net/ange-ftp.el.gz grammar problem:

;; For example: if find-file is given a filename of:
;;
;;   /ange@anorman:/tmp/notes
;;
;; then ange-ftp spawns an FTP process, connect to the host 'anorman' as
                                               ^s
;; user 'ange', get the file '/tmp/notes' and pop up a buffer containing the
                   ^s                            ^s
;; contents of that file as if it were on the local filesystem.  If ange-ftp
;; needs a password to connect then it reads one in the echo area.

* bug#38660: ange-ftp.el grammar
@ 2019-12-18 18:28 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-12-18 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 38660

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> /usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/net/ange-ftp.el.gz grammar problem:
>
> ;; For example: if find-file is given a filename of:
> ;;
> ;;   /ange@anorman:/tmp/notes
> ;;
> ;; then ange-ftp spawns an FTP process, connect to the host 'anorman' as
>                                                ^s
> ;; user 'ange', get the file '/tmp/notes' and pop up a buffer containing the
>                    ^s                            ^s
> ;; contents of that file as if it were on the local filesystem.  If ange-ftp
> ;; needs a password to connect then it reads one in the echo area.

I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like active
voice. What's wrong with this?

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#38660: ange-ftp.el grammar
@ 2019-12-18 23:30   ` 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2019-12-18 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: 38660

MA> I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like active
MA> voice. What's wrong with this?

Well all I know is there is
>> ;; then ange-ftp spawns an FTP process, connect to the host 'anorman' as
                         ^an "s" here,            ^but not here, etc. Odd.

* bug#38660: ange-ftp.el grammar
@ 2019-12-19  8:36     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-12-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 38660-done

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> MA> I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like active
> MA> voice. What's wrong with this?
>
> Well all I know is there is
>>> ;; then ange-ftp spawns an FTP process, connect to the host 'anorman' as
>                          ^an "s" here,            ^but not here, etc. Odd.

Hmm, there is a mix of active and passive voice. I've pushed your
proposed changes, closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

* bug#38660: ange-ftp.el grammar
@ 2019-12-19 15:42       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-19 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: 38660, michael.albinus, jidanni

> From: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:36:44 +0100
> Cc: 38660-done@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
>
> > MA> I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like active
> > MA> voice. What's wrong with this?
> >
> > Well all I know is there is
> >                          ^an "s" here,            ^but not here, etc. Odd.
>
> Hmm, there is a mix of active and passive voice.

Not active and passive, but singular and plural.