all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#44231: 27.1; Non-printable characters found. Continue sending?
@ 2020-10-26  5:42 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2020-10-26  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 44231

Today let's discuss this prompt:

      Non-printable characters found.  Continue sending?

      d: delete                r: replace               s: send                  e: edit
      Remove non-printable     Replace non-printable    Send as is without       Continue editing
      characters and send      characters with "."      removing anything
                               and send

1. The user has a right to pick a different character than ".".
And not just via .gnus.el, etc. So add a way to prompt for one.

2. In all cases the user has a right to continue editing after the
replacement, so please implement that.

E.g., the user wants to see how everything looks, and mention: 'Larry, as
you see above, I replaced the garbage characters with "X".'

3. Also offer to replace with \x12 \0x12 etc. formats.
as: the user might want to say "See Larry, I replaced that junk with
ASCII representations. So you can see all the different ones that you
sent me were."

* bug#44231: 27.1; Non-printable characters found. Continue sending?
@ 2020-10-26 10:48 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-10-26 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 44231

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> 1. The user has a right to pick a different character than ".".
> And not just via .gnus.el, etc. So add a way to prompt for one.

I don't think that sounds very useful.  The user can exit this and edit
the mail to be whatever they want.

> 2. In all cases the user has a right to continue editing after the
> replacement, so please implement that.

That's `e'.

> 3. Also offer to replace with \x12 \0x12 etc. formats.
> as: the user might want to say "See Larry, I replaced that junk with
> ASCII representations. So you can see all the different ones that you
> sent me were."

That's `u' (in Emacs 28).

Closing.

* bug#44231: 27.1; Non-printable characters found. Continue sending?
@ 2020-10-26 11:01   ` 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2020-10-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 44231

>> 2. In all cases the user has a right to continue editing after the
                                                            ^^^^^
                                                            ^^^^^
                                                            ^^^^^
>> replacement, so please implement that.

LI> That's `e'.

I mentioned "after".

* bug#44231: 27.1; Non-printable characters found. Continue sending?
@ 2020-10-26 11:15     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-10-26 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 44231

>>> 2. In all cases the user has a right to continue editing after the
>                                                             ^^^^^
>                                                             ^^^^^
>                                                             ^^^^^
>>> replacement, so please implement that.