all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to format paragraph and not to lose spaces between 2 characters?
@ 2021-10-06  5:41 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-10-06  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I have particular need to format paragraph without getting specific
spaces between specific characters disturbed:

Stage 1, paragraph is there
---------------------------

This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This
is example paragraph.This is example paragraph. This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph.This is example paragraph. This
is example paragraph. This is example paragraph.

Stage 2, after insert of ❰    ❱, paragraph gets somewhere dis-aligned

❰    ❱ This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This
is example paragraph.This is example paragraph. This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph.This is example paragraph. This
is example paragraph. This is example paragraph.

Stage 3, I wish to press M-q to re-format paragraph, then I lose
spaces between: ❰    ❱ -- and my goal is NOT to lose those spaces:

❰ ❱ This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is
example paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph.This is example paragraph. This
is example paragraph. This is example paragraph.This is example
paragraph. This is example paragraph. This is example paragraph.

Is there a way to solve this so that I do not lose spaces?

One solution I know is to insert a non-breaking space:

❰    ❱

Is there a solution without using non-breaking space?

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/