all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emoji support in Emacs: My first impressions
@ 2021-11-08 19:56 Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2021-11-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have compiled Emacs from the "master" branch and discovered the new Emoji commands. What a wonderful addition to Emacs!

Two comments form a first-time user of the feature:

(1) The "emoji-insert" command (C-x 8 i) inserts emojis but so do other emoji commands (in C-x 8). I think we could improve the name to better say what the command does. For instance, we could call the command "emoji-browse", as it allows the user to browse emojis by category. That said, all the other commands, such as "emoji-list", "emoji-recent", or "emoji-search" have great names and do what a new user, such as myself, would expect.

(2) I noticed Emacs lists "emoji-insert" twice in "C-x 8", once under "i" (insert) and once under "e" (for emoji, I suppose). As a first-time user, I found that confusing. Which one do I use? Which one do I put into my notes? Do we need two key bindings for browsing emojis by category? I think one would do.

Other than these two issues, I must say that the new functionality impressed me. Clear naming, no unnecessary configuration, solid performance, and more. Great, great work!

Rudy
--
"Logic is a science of the necessary laws of thought, without which no employment of the understanding and the reason takes place." -- Immanuel Kant, 1785

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com>
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia