all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Felix Dietrich <felix.dietrich@sperrhaken.name>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Find all the name and alias corresponding to a codepoint in Emacs.
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 17:01:28 +0100	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 19:20:11 +0800
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

>> > Why is that a problem?
>>
>> The "grave accent" is also named as "backtick" or "backquote", and I
>> hope to see all these names in Emacs.
>
> We only show the Unicode data, and it has only "SPACING GRAVE" as an
> alternative name.

A somewhat harebrained idea of mine queries Wikidata for aliases stored
there.  Use the command ‘wd-char-aliases-show’ to display a list of
aliases for the character under the cursor.  This sketch has no comments
or docstrings, nor does it check for errors.  The query is slow and
might very well not be entirely correct.  (I do not have much of an
understanding of SPARQL and Wikidata.)  Maybe it can still be of use to
you – or of interest as a curiosity.