all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Identifying initialization error after invalid read syntax: ?
@ 2022-06-10  4:21 goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-06-10  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

How can I identify the problem emanating from the following initialization error?

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘/home/hagbard/.emacs’:

Invalid read syntax: ?

* Re: Identifying initialization error after invalid read syntax: ?
@ 2022-06-10 10:18 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-06-10 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> How can I identify the problem emanating from the following
> initialization error?
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/home/hagbard/.emacs’:
>
> Invalid read syntax: ?

Explicitly loading the file (e.g. with L from dired) tells you the exact
column and line numbers of the problem.  Byte compiling also helps (as
most of the time).

Please see my answer in the "visible-whitespace-mode" thread for the
cause.

Michael.

* Re: Identifying initialization error after invalid read syntax: ?
@ 2022-06-10 16:40   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-06-10 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> How can I identify the problem emanating from the following
>> initialization error?
>>
>> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
>> ‘/home/hagbard/.emacs’:
>>
>> Invalid read syntax: ?
>
> Explicitly loading the file (e.g. with L from dired) tells you the
> exact column and line numbers of the problem.  Byte compiling also
> helps (as most of the time).

In addition, starting emacs with --debug-init might also shed some
light.

Bye,
Tassilo