all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net>
To: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Emms and the Spotify Search API
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2024 11:26:35 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello all, I'm the current maintainer of Emms.

We are adding to Emms the ability to search online music
databases. There is already some support for the MusicBrainz database
(https://musicbrainz.org/) and support for the Discogs
(https://www.discogs.com/) search API will not be far behind.

Spotify distribute their streaming music client, which is a very popular
piece of proprietary software. But Spotify also provide an API to search
their music database.

To be clear: I'm not considering streaming from Spotify via Emms. I'm
only considering whether to support the Spotify music database search
API in Emms.

What I'd like feedback on is whether or not adding support for search on
Spotify's music database would be tantamount to supporting or
encouraging people to use Spotify's proprietary streaming client and
services.

Thank you in advance for your input.

P.S. I've yet to read Spotify's developer agreement. Perhaps there will
be a clause in there that effectively prohibits developing free software
that connects to the Spotify search API, and perhaps not. I don't have
that information yet.