all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (add-to-list 'process-coding-system-alist '("zsh" . utf-8))
@ 2012-05-15  1:33 kj
From: kj @ 2012-05-15  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to set once and for all (in my .emacs, that is) the coding
system for all the "inferior shells" I start with M-x shell.

As the subject line above says, I tried

  (add-to-list 'process-coding-system-alist '("zsh" . utf-8))

(my default shell is zsh, of course), but it did not work: new
shells still mis-handle non-ASCII characters until I put them
through the usual C-x RET p business.

I would like to know why the elisp snippet above fails to make the
initial coding system of new shells created by M-x shell to be
utf-8.

Any ideas?

(NB: there may be other ways to achieve the same result, but here
I am specifically interested in understanding why what I tried did
not work, and fix it.)

Thanks!

* Re: (add-to-list 'process-coding-system-alist '("zsh" . utf-8))
@ 2012-05-15  8:32 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-05-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Am 15.05.2012 um 03:33 schrieb kj:

> Any ideas?

Set in the environment from you launch GNU Emacs LANG and LC_CTYPE to your desired UTF-8 encoding.

> (NB: there may be other ways to achieve the same result, but here
> I am specifically interested in understanding why what I tried did
> not work, and fix it.)

I presume that the buffers simply are not named "zsh" ...

--
Greetings

 Pete

Specifications are for the weak and timid!