all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Preserving window layout
@ 2003-06-07 14:41 Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2003-06-07 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm trying to set up Emacs in a way that I think will be nice for
coding: I have a single full-screen frame with two large side-by-side
windows for editing source files and whatnot, and below these two
there's a third window with a shell in it, which takes up the entire
frame width. It looks something like this:

-----------------------
|          |          |
|          |          |
|  source  |  source  |
|          |          |
|          |          |
-----------------------
|        shell        |
-----------------------

Sort of a poor man's IDE. The problem is, when I do something like
command-apropos it wreaks havoc on my nice little environment - the
shell buffer grows to take up half of the frame, and the *Apropos*
buffer has taken the place of *shell*.

What I would like do is keep this basic layout the same, viewing
various buffers only in the top two windows, and keeping the shell
window undisturbed at the bottom. So, is there some way to "lock" a
screen layout, or at least a single window? And can I prevent my shell
buffer from being replaced by other buffers?

In case it matters, I'm using Emacs 21.1.1 in Mac OS X's Terminal
application.

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Preserving window layout
       [not found] <mailman.7528.1054997087.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-07 15:10 ` Glyn Millington
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-06-07 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

> What I would like do is keep this basic layout the same, viewing
> various buffers only in the top two windows, and keeping the shell
> window undisturbed at the bottom. So, is there some way to "lock" a
> screen layout, or at least a single window? And can I prevent my shell
> buffer from being replaced by other buffers?

I wonder if winring.el will give you what you need

Take a look at

http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html

in general and the winring package in particular ;-)

hth

Glyn

@ 2003-06-07 20:32 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-06-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, calhounm@mac.com wrote:

> The problem is, when I do something like command-apropos it wreaks
> havoc on my nice little environment - the shell buffer grows to take
> up half of the frame, and the *Apropos* buffer has taken the place of
> *shell*.

Try this.

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      '(("*Apropos*"
	 (top . 5)
	 (left . 100)
	 (width . 90)
	 (height . 50)
	 (background-color . "gray60")
	 (menu-bar-lines . 0))
	"*Backtrace*" "*Input History*" "*Occur*" "*grep*"
	))

The above may need a tweak, I cut it out of alot more buffers being
referenced.  I think you can play with this and get it to your liking.
--
Galen deForest Boyer

@ 2003-06-07 21:16 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-06-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

> Sort of a poor man's IDE. The problem is, when I do something like
> command-apropos it wreaks havoc on my nice little environment - the
> shell buffer grows to take up half of the frame, and the *Apropos*
> buffer has taken the place of *shell*.

Another approach

,----[ C-h k C-x r w ]
| C-x r w runs the command window-configuration-to-register
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register'.
| (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)
|
| Store the window configuration of the selected frame in register REGISTER.
| Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
| Argument is a character, naming the register.
`----

(info "(emacs)RegConfig")

You might want to bind those to some nice keys.

Also see

(info "(emacs)Windows")
(info "(emacs)Window Convenience")

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge

* Re: Preserving window layout
       [not found] <mailman.7528.1054997087.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-08  3:18 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2003-06-08  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up Emacs in a way that I think will be nice for
> coding: I have a single full-screen frame with two large side-by-side
> windows for editing source files and whatnot, and below these two
> there's a third window with a shell in it, which takes up the entire
> frame width. It looks something like this:
>
> -----------------------
> |          |          |
> |          |          |
> |  source  |  source  |
> |          |          |
> |          |          |
> -----------------------
> |        shell        |
> -----------------------
>
> Sort of a poor man's IDE. The problem is, when I do something like
> command-apropos it wreaks havoc on my nice little environment - the
> shell buffer grows to take up half of the frame, and the *Apropos*
> buffer has taken the place of *shell*.
>
> What I would like do is keep this basic layout the same, viewing
> various buffers only in the top two windows, and keeping the shell
> window undisturbed at the bottom. So, is there some way to "lock" a
> screen layout, or at least a single window? And can I prevent my shell
> buffer from being replaced by other buffers?
>
> In case it matters, I'm using Emacs 21.1.1 in Mac OS X's Terminal
> application.

I don't know anything about Mac OS X, but I quite often do something
like this:

  +-----------+	 +-----------+ +--+
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  |  source   |	 |   docs    | |  |   speedbar
  |           |	 |           | |  |   ----
  |           |	 |           | | <+--/
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  +-----------+	 |           | |  |
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  |  shell    |	 |           | |  |
  |           |	 |           | |  |
  +-----------+	 +-----------+ +--+

Basically this is two normal frames, one of them with a small shell
window and a speed bar.  It does pretty much everything your setup
does, but it's a bit easier to maintain.  It takes a fair amount of
screen real estate, but so does your setup.

Jason

* Re: Preserving window layout (follow up)
@ 2003-06-11 18:53   ` Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2003-06-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a really helpful function that
I'm surprised nobody mentioned, though: set-window-dedicated-p prevents
Emacs from messing with a particular window. I wound up writing a small
function that sets up my windows as described, calls this function for
the shell window, and then calls the window-configuration-to-register
function that Johan mentioned. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks again,
Matt