all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs mode intro question
@ 2004-08-25  7:19 Urban Gabor
From: Urban Gabor @ 2004-08-25  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to learn writing Emacs mode just for fun (and
help for myself...). I have found a very good Emacs-Lisp
tutorial, but I could not find any tutorial, how cold I
write a major emacs mode on my own. Can anybody help me?

Could you cc the reply to my mailbox, too?

Best regards

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
inside!

* Re: Emacs mode intro question
       [not found] <mailman.2666.1093418671.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-25  8:16 ` Joakim Hove
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joakim Hove @ 2004-08-25  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Urban Gabor

> but I could not find any tutorial, how cold I write a major emacs
> mode on my own. Can anybody help me?

Well, it is maybe not exactly a tutorial. But if you look up *Elisp* and
then *Modes* in info (C-h i) you will find lots of information on the
topic.

Good luck Joakim

--
Joakim Hove
hove AT ift uib no

@ 2004-08-25 11:13 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2004-08-25 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, i've found this tutorial

http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html

very helpful.

hth,
jao
--
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend: and inside a dog,
it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

* Re: Emacs mode intro question
@ 2004-08-25 11:56 ` ken
From: ken @ 2004-08-25 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Urban Gabor wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to learn writing Emacs mode just for fun (and
>help for myself...). I have found a very good Emacs-Lisp
>tutorial, but I could not find any tutorial, how cold I
>write a major emacs mode on my own. Can anybody help me?
>
>Could you cc the reply to my mailbox, too?
>
>Best regards
>
>Gabaux
>Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
>inside!

Your enthusiasm and curiosity are laudable.  However, one of the first
rules of programming is that you don't re-invent the wheel.  There are
already a *lot* of emacs modes and so you could be writing one which
already exists.  On the other hand,  I'm guessing that there are a lot
of open source projects on <http://savannah.gnu.org/> and
<http://sourceforge.net/> which are cutting edge and need help.  You
could follow on on the develop of some interesting project and, if your
coding skills are good enough, perhaps even contribute.

hth,
ken

@ 2004-08-25 13:12 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-08-25 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+could+I+write+a+major+emacs+mode+on+my+own

* Re: Emacs mode intro question
       [not found] <mailman.2666.1093418671.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-25 20:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-08-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> write a major emacs mode on my own. Can anybody help me?

<blowing-my-horn> Look for sample-mode.el. </>