all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp with public key ssh
@ 2005-02-23  2:30 Michael Powe
       [not found] ` <nq3bvnld76.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-02-23  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am set up for an ssh public-key login to an account.  When I try to
edit a file there via emacs + tramp, tramp asks for the password for
the key and then hangs.  Now, if I C-g after a minute or so, examine
*Messages*, I see something like this:

Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..........
tramp: Sending password
Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa':
Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': .
Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..
Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ........

Any ideas on what might be happening here?  I After the initial
password request, none of the other material shown appears in the
minibuffer.  That is all just in the *Messages* buffer.

Thanks.

mp

* Re: Tramp with public key ssh
       [not found] ` <nq3bvnld76.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2005-02-23 13:38   ` Michael Powe
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1277.1109177048.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-02-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> I am set up for an ssh public-key login to an account.  When I
    >> try to edit a file there via emacs + tramp, tramp asks for the
    >> password for the key and then hangs.  Now, if I C-g after a
    >> minute or so, examine *Messages*, I see something like this:

    >> Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..........
    >> tramp: Sending password Enter passphrase for key
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': Enter passphrase for key
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': .  Enter passphrase for key
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..  Enter passphrase for key
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ........

    >> Any ideas on what might be happening here?  I After the initial
    >> password request, none of the other material shown appears in
    >> the minibuffer.  That is all just in the *Messages* buffer.

    Michael> Hard to say, without knowing tramp version, tramp buffer,
    Michael> and tramp debug buffer. I would suspect you have mistyped
    Michael> your password, and tramp is not asking it again.

Nope, it's not a typo. In fact, if you do mistype, you will get
re-prompted.  I tested that by deliberately putting in a wrong password.

    Michael> If not, please submit a bug report via "M-x
    Michael> tramp-submit-bug". This provides additional information
    Michael> for analysis.

I will do that, thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA

Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world.
                -- Lily Tomlin

* Re: Tramp with public key ssh
@ 2005-02-23 16:56     ` J. E. Lewis
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1277.1109177048.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. E. Lewis @ 2005-02-23 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:38:34AM -0500, Michael Powe wrote:
>     >> I am set up for an ssh public-key login to an account.  When I
>     >> try to edit a file there via emacs + tramp, tramp asks for the
>
>     >> Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..........
>     >> tramp: Sending password Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': .  Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..  Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ........
>
>     >> Any ideas on what might be happening here?  I After the initial
>     >> password request, none of the other material shown appears in
>     >> the minibuffer.  That is all just in the *Messages* buffer.

Well it looks to me like an ssh public key issue.  When you ssh to a box with
your ssh pub-key on it it asks for your passphrase and not your passwd.  If
you type anything that is not your passphrase (other than a blank return) then
it will prompt again for the passphrase and continue doing so until the blank
return or 3 times or more pass.  Then it will prompt for your passwd.

If you start ssh-agent first and properly login to the agent then you will by
pass the passphrase question and it should just login to the machine for you.

Hope that helps.

--jel--
a.k.a. Louie

* Re: Tramp with public key ssh
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1277.1109177048.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-23 17:49       ` Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-02-23 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> I >> try to edit a file there via emacs + tramp, tramp asks for
    >> the

    >> ..........  >> tramp: Sending password Enter passphrase for key
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': .  Enter passphrase for key >>
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..  Enter passphrase for key >>
    >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ........

    >> initial >> password request, none of the other material shown
    >> appears in >> the minibuffer.  That is all just in the
    >> *Messages* buffer.

    JE> Well it looks to me like an ssh public key issue.  When you
    JE> ssh to a box with your ssh pub-key on it it asks for your
    JE> passphrase and not your passwd.  If you type anything that is
    JE> not your passphrase (other than a blank return) then it will
    JE> prompt again for the passphrase and continue doing so until
    JE> the blank return or 3 times or more pass.  Then it will prompt
    JE> for your passwd.

    JE> If you start ssh-agent first and properly login to the agent
    JE> then you will by pass the passphrase question and it should
    JE> just login to the machine for you.

Hmm, I admit I don't know how exactly the pub key authentication
works.  It sounds like when I am being prompted for the passphrase,
I'm being prompted by the local ssh, which then "forwards" the
passphrase?  In which case, tramp could be talking to the wrong
party.  I'm trying to get away from password authentication altogether
and currently have pub-key on all my connections.

I've used ssh-agent in the past but it's been a long time.  I will do
some more research.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA
It goes against the grain of modern education to teach children to