all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-20 14:14 David Lee
From: David Lee @ 2006-04-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all
I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
but it doesn't work for me, and minibuffer gave this hint:
  Set face: default (M-g d), bold (M-g b), italic (M-g i)..

Seems that my settings didn't take effects.

Anything wrong?

[ I'm using SuSE 10.0, and I tried with failure under FC5, either. ]

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-20 15:21 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.04.2006 um 16:14 schrieb David Lee:

> I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> 	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
> but it doesn't work for me, and minibuffer gave this hint:
>   Set face: default (M-g d), bold (M-g b), italic (M-g i)..

Could be you need GNU Emacs 21.4 or the version 22.0.50 from CVS!

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
       [not found] <mailman.642.1145542481.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-20 16:20 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-20 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Lee" <live4thee@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, all
> I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> (global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
> but it doesn't work for me, and minibuffer gave this hint:
>   Set face: default (M-g d), bold (M-g b), italic (M-g i)..
>
> Seems that my settings didn't take effects.
>
> Anything wrong?
>
> [ I'm using SuSE 10.0, and I tried with failure under FC5, either. ]
>
> Thanks in advance.

It looks like M-g is already reserved as a prefix. In version 22.0.50 M-g
g runs 'goto-line. Try putting this in *scratch* and evaluating it. (C-j
after close paren of the form):

(global-set-key "\C-cg" ('goto-line)

I think that C-c is a mapping reserved for user bindings. That way you
won't have to mess with the default bindings into which a lot of thought
has gone. If C-c g is okay with you, you can put it in your .emacs.

Ed.

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-20 16:43   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-20 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> "David Lee" <live4thee@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, all
> > I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> > (global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
> > but it doesn't work for me, and minibuffer gave this hint:
> >   Set face: default (M-g d), bold (M-g b), italic (M-g i)..
> >
> > Seems that my settings didn't take effects.
> >
> > Anything wrong?
> >
> > [ I'm using SuSE 10.0, and I tried with failure under FC5, either. ]
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> It looks like M-g is already reserved as a prefix. In version 22.0.50
M-g
> g runs 'goto-line. Try putting this in *scratch* and evaluating it. (C-j
> after close paren of the form):
>
> (global-set-key "\C-cg" ('goto-line)
oops!
 (global-set-key "\C-cg" 'goto-line)
rather.

@ 2006-04-20 18:26 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> 	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
                              ^
                             ^^^

That should be a space, otherwise you're trying to bind the "meta-g" key,
which I'm pretty sure you don't have on your keyboard.

@ 2006-04-20 21:00 ` Giorgos Pontikakis
From: Giorgos Pontikakis @ 2006-04-20 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Lee <live4thee@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, all
> I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> 	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
> but it doesn't work for me, and minibuffer gave this hint:
>   Set face: default (M-g d), bold (M-g b), italic (M-g i)..
>
> Seems that my settings didn't take effects.
>
> Anything wrong?
>
> [ I'm using SuSE 10.0, and I tried with failure under FC5, either. ]
>
> Thanks in advance.

I use

(define-key global-map (kbd "M-g") 'goto-line)

and works fine in emacs 21.4 (which comes bundled with slackware 10)
and emacs 22.0.50.1 (from CVS). I don't know if this is a specific
problem with emacs 21.3 but I doubt it.

Maybe you should try starting with emacs -q and try executing the
above expression within the scratch buffer. Does this work?

Hope this helps,

-- Giorgos

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-21  0:16   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-04-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <874q0oqf2v.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
> > 	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
>                               ^
>                              ^^^
>
> That should be a space, otherwise you're trying to bind the "meta-g" key,
> which I'm pretty sure you don't have on your keyboard.

If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
not the hyphen in meta-g.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-21  0:58     ` Miles Bader
       [not found]     ` <mailman.679.1145581160.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-04-21  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
> If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
> fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
> not the hyphen in meta-g.

Er, normal email doesn't include font information, so it's your job to
make sure the font your use for reading mail is correct, not the message
sender's (and indeed, Stefan's message displays correctly if you use a
fixed-width font to read it).

-Miles
--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-21  1:33   ` Lee David
From: Lee David @ 2006-04-21  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oops! Yes I did misplace one hyphen between 'meta' and 'g'.
After removing it now it works.

Thank you all.

@ 2006-04-21  6:25       ` Sven Urbanski
       [not found]         ` <mailman.720.1145639922.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Urbanski @ 2006-04-21  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>> If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
>> fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
>> not the hyphen in meta-g.
>
> Er, normal email doesn't include font information, so it's your job to
> make sure the font your use for reading mail is correct, not the message
> sender's (and indeed, Stefan's message displays correctly if you use a
> fixed-width font to read it).

Well, the sender _and_ the reader have to use a fixed font, otherwise it
won't work as expected ( or they have to use the _same_ font ).
I get the arrow pointing to the 't' in meta, not pointing to the '-'.
I tried several fixed fonts. The problem is the 'tab' used by Stefan.

Sven

@ 2006-04-21 12:00     ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-04-21 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 "Barry"posted on 2006-04-21:

> In article <874q0oqf2v.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> > I am a beginner with GNU Emacs(21.3.1). I added this line to ~/.emacs
>> > 	(global-set-key [(meta-g)] 'goto-line)
>>                               ^
>>                              ^^^
>>
>> That should be a space, otherwise you're trying to bind the "meta-g" key,
>> which I'm pretty sure you don't have on your keyboard.
>
> If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
> fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
> not the hyphen in meta-g.

err, he did. Looks fine on my fixed width *reader*. Sounds like you
are not using fixed width font.

LOL.

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
@ 2006-04-21 17:18         ` Miles Bader
       [not found]         ` <mailman.720.1145639922.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-04-21 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Urbanski <inf8237@fh-wedel.de> writes:
> Well, the sender _and_ the reader have to use a fixed font, otherwise it
> won't work as expected ( or they have to use the _same_ font ).
> I get the arrow pointing to the 't' in meta, not pointing to the '-'.
> I tried several fixed fonts. The problem is the 'tab' used by Stefan.

Actually Stefan didn't use a tab, the original poster did (Stefan just
quoted his text verbatim) -- but still it should cause no problems
unless your mail reader uses a non-standard tab width.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* trouble with tabs [Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line]
       [not found]         ` <mailman.720.1145639922.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-21 18:56           ` Sven Urbanski
       [not found]             ` <mailman.751.1145667494.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Urbanski @ 2006-04-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader wrote:

> Sven Urbanski <inf8237@fh-wedel.de> writes:
>> Well, the sender _and_ the reader have to use a fixed font, otherwise it
>> won't work as expected ( or they have to use the _same_ font ).
>> I get the arrow pointing to the 't' in meta, not pointing to the '-'.
>> I tried several fixed fonts. The problem is the 'tab' used by Stefan.
>
> Actually Stefan didn't use a tab, the original poster did (Stefan just
> quoted his text verbatim) -- but still it should cause no problems

I agree.

> unless your mail reader uses a non-standard tab width.

No, it uses 8. The problem is the combination of a character (in this
example a space) and a tab. That combo produces a tab which is only 7 chars
long (because the space is also taken into account).
=>
I hate tabs.

* Re: trouble with tabs [Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line]
@ 2006-04-22  0:58             ` Miles Bader
       [not found]             ` <mailman.751.1145667494.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-04-22  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Urbanski <inf8237@fh-wedel.de> writes:
> No, it uses 8. The problem is the combination of a character (in this
> example a space) and a tab. That combo produces a tab which is only 7 chars
> long (because the space is also taken into account).

Why is there a problem?  Stefan's (space-only) text took that effect into
account, so in his post things line up perfectly.

Of course in the _followups_ to Stefan's post, which quote the whole
mess, things aren't lined up correctly (because the extra quotation
prefix shifts his space-space only text, but not the preceeding
tab-using text) ... but that's presumably not what Barry was complaining
about.

To be honest I don't know what Barry was complaining about, unless it's
perhaps "This damn MUA uses non-fixed-width fonts!"  That's a complaint
I also have with e.g. gmail, but surely the answer is "fix the MUA."

-Miles
--
(\(\
(^.^)

@ 2006-04-22  2:31       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-04-22  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.679.1145581160.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
> > If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
> > fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
> > not the hyphen in meta-g.
>
> Er, normal email doesn't include font information, so it's your job to
> make sure the font your use for reading mail is correct, not the message
> sender's (and indeed, Stefan's message displays correctly if you use a
> fixed-width font to read it).

I *am* using a fixed-width font.

Another common problem with ASCII art is the use of TABs, since the
sender and reader may not be using the same TAB width.

--

@ 2006-04-22  2:41               ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-04-22  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.751.1145667494.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> Sven Urbanski <inf8237@fh-wedel.de> writes:
> > No, it uses 8. The problem is the combination of a character (in this
> > example a space) and a tab. That combo produces a tab which is only 7 chars
> > long (because the space is also taken into account).
>
> Why is there a problem?  Stefan's (space-only) text took that effect into
> account, so in his post things line up perfectly.
>
> Of course in the _followups_ to Stefan's post, which quote the whole
> mess, things aren't lined up correctly (because the extra quotation
> prefix shifts his space-space only text, but not the preceeding
> tab-using text) ... but that's presumably not what Barry was complaining
> about.
>
> To be honest I don't know what Barry was complaining about, unless it's
> perhaps "This damn MUA uses non-fixed-width fonts!"  That's a complaint
> I also have with e.g. gmail, but surely the answer is "fix the MUA."

I'm using MT-Newswatcher, and I have it set to display in a fixed-width
font (Monaco 10).

I've figured out the problem.  It displays TAB as a single space, rather
than indenting to a tab stop.  I had no idea that the single line of
code was indented with a tab rather than a space -- I had to cut and
paste from MT-NW to Emacs to see this.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Trouble with global-set-key to map meta-g with 'goto-line
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-24  8:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-04-24  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you're going to use ASCII art as a pointer, mae sure you're using a
> fixed-width font.  Your arrow is pointing to the quote before goto-line,
> not the hyphen in meta-g.

Sorry all for not realizing that the code I excerpted was using a TAB.

        Stef ;)