all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CommonLisp development with Emacs
@ 2006-05-14 17:30 Anton V. Belyaev
From: Anton V. Belyaev @ 2006-05-14 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

There is no support for CommonLisp (CLISP, EcoLisp...) out of the box.
I've found ILisp package for Emacs which provides support for
many CommonLisp implementations from Emacs.
But ILisp seems to be abandoned: its change is dated 2003 and I got
some compatibility
problems with my current Emacs version (22).

Does Emacs suit for CommonLisp development?
What should I use for CL?

* Re: CommonLisp development with Emacs
@ 2006-05-14 17:41 ` Cor Gest
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cor Gest @ 2006-05-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some entity AKA "Anton V. Belyaev" <anton.belyaev@gmail.com>
 wrote this mindboggling stuff:

(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
> Hi!
>
> There is no support for CommonLisp (CLISP, EcoLisp...) out of the box.
> I've found ILisp package for Emacs which provides support for
> many CommonLisp implementations from Emacs.
> But ILisp seems to be abandoned: its change is dated 2003 and I got
> some compatibility
> problems with my current Emacs version (22).
>
> Does Emacs suit for CommonLisp development?
> What should I use for CL?

Ilisp is somewhat oldfashioned nowadays.

A very good interface to Common Lisp is SLIME.

Look at lispbox from  http://www.giagamonkeys.com/book
Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel for a run-down of
integrating slime/emacs and any Common Lisp implementation.

Cor

--
I do not use Windows (tm) therefore I do not fear mail from strangers
If everything else failed to satisfy you, try reading The Frign' Manual

* Re: CommonLisp development with Emacs
@ 2006-05-14 17:49 ` Michaël Cadilhac
       [not found] ` <mailman.1789.1147633143.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-05-14 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Anton V. Belyaev" <anton.belyaev@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> There is no support for CommonLisp (CLISP, EcoLisp...) out of the box.
> I've found ILisp package for Emacs which provides support for
> many CommonLisp implementations from Emacs.
> But ILisp seems to be abandoned: its change is dated 2003 and I got
> some compatibility
> problems with my current Emacs version (22).
>
> Does Emacs suit for CommonLisp development?
> What should I use for CL?

  Isn't lisp-mode enough ?

  I also have some files installed by gcl:
  http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcl/gcl/elisp/

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |     Le copillage-collage               |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007   |        tue le programmeur.             |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: CommonLisp development with Emacs
@ 2006-05-14 17:58 ` Lou Vanek
       [not found] ` <mailman.1789.1147633143.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lou Vanek @ 2006-05-14 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

@ 2006-05-14 22:08   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-14 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

michael.cadilhac@lrde.org (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> "Anton V. Belyaev" <anton.belyaev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> There is no support for CommonLisp (CLISP, EcoLisp...) out of the box.
>> I've found ILisp package for Emacs which provides support for
>> many CommonLisp implementations from Emacs.
>> But ILisp seems to be abandoned: its change is dated 2003 and I got
>> some compatibility
>> problems with my current Emacs version (22).
>>
>> Does Emacs suit for CommonLisp development?
>> What should I use for CL?
>
>   Isn't lisp-mode enough ?
>
>   I also have some files installed by gcl:
>   http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcl/gcl/elisp/
>
> --
>  |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |     Le copillage-collage               |
>  |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007   |        tue le programmeur.             |
>  | http://www.lrde.org/~cadilh_m   |            -- Dictons LRDE             |
>  `--  -   JID: micha@amessage.be --'                                   -  --'

In comparison to slime, lisp-mode is *extremely* primitive. The
difference is very much like a comparison between a syntax
highlighting mode which allows advanced editing of common lisp
(lisp-mode) and a fully integrated common lisp development envrionment
(slime) which provides a lot of really neat features.

Anyone working with CL and emacs who is not running slime is really
missing out on a lot.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au