all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
Subject: Re: removing the echo area
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:34:12 +1000	[thread overview]

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Jason Grieves wrote:
>> Thank you for taking the time to read this email.  I am currently
>> operating a piece of software in emacs that requires the entire
>> screen, i.e. the number of rows.  In other words, because emacs
>> takes the top and bottom rows of the tty, the software will no
>> longer load.  We can trick the software into thinking it loads but
>> sadly the words get all jumbled up.
>> We have found a way to remove the menu bar, but is there any way to
>> remove the echo area as well?
>
> Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
> That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
> terminal configuration and display properly.

I think the OPs problem is they are running it from a console rather
than under X.

One way around would be to configure the console to use a smaller font
so that you get more than the 25x80 you get with default font size. Of
course, how useful this is would depend on how large your monitor is.
Under Linux, this can be configured via LILO at boot time. Not sure
about other boot loaders like grub etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au