all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making <C--> and other shortcuts work
@ 2006-11-11 18:06 François-Denis Gonthier
       [not found] ` <mailman.437.1163273260.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: François-Denis Gonthier @ 2006-11-11 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

in GUI emacs mode, I have C-- bound to shrink-window.  In Konsole or
xterm, Emacs never receives that key binding.  Is it possible to make
that keybinding work?  I have xterm-extras in my .emacs, and I'm not
sure if there isn't an Xmodmap trick I could do.

I can still get used to another keybinding if it's not possible to
make it work, it'd just be nice if it could work.

F-D

* Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work
@ 2006-11-11 19:22 ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found] ` <mailman.437.1163273260.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-11 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

neumann@lostwebsite.net (François-Denis Gonthier) writes:

> in GUI emacs mode, I have C-- bound to shrink-window.  In Konsole or
> xterm, Emacs never receives that key binding.  Is it possible to make
> that keybinding work?  I have xterm-extras in my .emacs, and I'm not

Sorry, I've no idea whether this interferes with some Control key
schemes in terminals and I do not know xterm-extras.

> sure if there isn't an Xmodmap trick I could do.
> I can still get used to another keybinding if it's not possible to

Is C-x ^ with a negative argument not fast enough for you?  Maybe C-x
- could also be helpful in your situation?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-11-11 20:27   ` François-Denis Gonthier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.442.1163282131.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: François-Denis Gonthier @ 2006-11-11 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dieter> neumann@lostwebsite.net (François-Denis Gonthier) writes:
    >> in GUI emacs mode, I have C-- bound to shrink-window.  In
    >> Konsole or xterm, Emacs never receives that key binding.  Is it
    >> possible to make that keybinding work?  I have xterm-extras in
    >> my .emacs, and I'm not

    Dieter> Sorry, I've no idea whether this interferes with some
    Dieter> Control key schemes in terminals and I do not know
    Dieter> xterm-extras.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XtermExtras

I have tried --no-site-file -q and found the same behavior.

    >> sure if there isn't an Xmodmap trick I could do.  I can still
    >> get used to another keybinding if it's not possible to

    Dieter> Is C-x ^ with a negative argument not fast enough for you?
    Dieter> Maybe C-x - could also be helpful in your situation?

C-x - is a binding I'll try to remember.

C-x ^ is definitely not fast enough.  C-- has the advantage of firing
reapeatedly when kept pressed.  I think that's is a must for things
that need quick adjustments like the size of a window.  Of course I
could always bind another key for that.  I'm just asking if there is
any way to make it work as it is.

Plus ^ is a dead key on a french-canadian keymap so it's kind of
annoying to produce. I tend to keep away from bindings that use ^ and
I'm not about to change keymap.

BTW, I need to add many bindings using Ctrl work fine.  C-- and some
others don't and I don't really understand why.

@ 2006-11-11 21:55     ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]     ` <mailman.442.1163282131.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> C-x ^ is definitely not fast enough.  C-- has the advantage of firing

It becomes faster when you're actually give the shortcut an
(estimated) argument:

C--20 C-x ^

will shrink the window 20 lines

> reapeatedly when kept pressed.  I think that's is a must for things

or you could do

C-- C-x ^ C-x z

and then typing

zzzzz

as often as you like.

> that need quick adjustments like the size of a window.  Of course I
> could always bind another key for that.  I'm just asking if there is
> any way to make it work as it is.
> Plus ^ is a dead key on a french-canadian keymap so it's kind of

yes, that's ugly.  I experience this behaviour on my windows machine
at work, it's annoying to type an additional SPC to get the ^-stuff
working (especially the invaluable M-^ key).

> annoying to produce. I tend to keep away from bindings that use ^ and
> I'm not about to change keymap.
>
> BTW, I need to add many bindings using Ctrl work fine.  C-- and some
> others don't and I don't really understand why.

I'm sorry I can't help you here but I'm sure there are some others on
this list. 8-)

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2006-11-11 22:16       ` François-Denis Gonthier
From: François-Denis Gonthier @ 2006-11-11 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dieter> It becomes faster when you're actually give the shortcut
    Dieter> an (estimated) argument:

    Dieter> C--20 C-x ^

    Dieter> will shrink the window 20 lines

Oh I see you point now, but, like I said in the top-of-thread, C--
won't work anyway.  It work in Gnus group buffer but, for example, not
in *scratch* where it inserts - in the buffer.

    Dieter> yes, that's ugly.  I experience this behaviour on my
    Dieter> windows machine at work, it's annoying to type an
    Dieter> additional SPC to get the ^-stuff working (especially the
    Dieter> invaluable M-^ key).

That's why I rebind such useful functions.

    >> annoying to produce. I tend to keep away from bindings that use
    >> ^ and I'm not about to change keymap.
    >>
    >> BTW, I need to add many bindings using Ctrl work fine.  C-- and
    >> some others don't and I don't really understand why.

    Dieter> I'm sorry I can't help you here but I'm sure there are
    Dieter> some others on this list. 8-)

Thank you for your hints anyway.

@ 2006-11-11 22:18       ` François-Denis Gonthier
From: François-Denis Gonthier @ 2006-11-11 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dieter> C--20 C-x ^

Well, C-u-20 C-x ^ seems to work too so it's not too bad.

* Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work
@ 2006-11-11 22:55         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-11-11 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>     Dieter> C--20 C-x ^
>
> Well, C-u-20 C-x ^ seems to work too so it's not too bad.

Sorry I meant M--20 not C--20, stupid me, C-- isn't working.  But, of
course, I hope somebody is getting this essential C-- working for you
on the terminal.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm