all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Change default font size?
@ 2006-11-13 23:47 John Oliver
From: John Oliver @ 2006-11-13 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
start emacs with a slightly larger font size.

--
* John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *

* Re: Change default font size?
@ 2006-11-14  0:46 ` Perry Smith
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-14  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:47 PM, John Oliver wrote:

> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024
> resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
> for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her
> alias to
> start emacs with a slightly larger font size.

With X11, I would also like to know the X11 attribute to set for the
first frame and the default for the other frames.  (The term
attribute for X11 may not be the right term.  Maybe they are called
"resource names")

Thank you,
Perry Smith
Ease Software, Inc.
pedz@easesoftware.com
http://www.easesoftware.com

Low cost SATA Products for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

* Re: Change default font size?
@ 2006-11-14  5:39 ` Max
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Max @ 2006-11-14  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"""John Oliver писал(а):
"""
> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
> for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
> start emacs with a slightly larger font size.

M-x customize-face RET default

should help you.

--
WBR,
Max Vasin.

* Re: Change default font size?
@ 2006-11-14  7:18 ` Glyn Millington
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Glyn Millington @ 2006-11-14  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> writes:

> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
> for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
> start emacs with a slightly larger font size.

Hi John,

Probably the neatest way to do this would be through X resources - into
the appropriate file (mighjt be .Xresources or  .Xdefaults ) put the line

emacs*font: lucidasanstypewriter-12

or whichever font you like.

I'm using XEmacs here - Gnu Emacs has a list of X resources somewhere -
maybe in the FAQ

hth

Glyn

* Re: Change default font size?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-11-14  9:04 ` timlopez
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: timlopez @ 2006-11-14  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From my .emacs, for a 1280x1024 screen:

; need this, otherwise setting default font is slow
(modify-frame-parameters nil '((wait-for-wm . nil)))
(set-default-font "9x15")

tim

John Oliver wrote:
> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
> for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
> start emacs with a slightly larger font size.
>
> --
> * John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *

* Re: Change default font size?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-11-14 12:12 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.541.1163465225.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-11-14 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> writes:

> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
> for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
> start emacs with a slightly larger font size.
>
> --

I usually find using xfontsel to select an appropriate font and then
putting that in the .Xresources/.Xdefaults file works well.
Alternatively, using the customize interface and setting the default
face should work. Finally, specifying a font on the command line
should provide a quick way to test various fonts until you find one
that works well.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Change default font size?
       [not found] ` <mailman.541.1163465225.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-14 12:14   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-11-14 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> On Nov 13, 2006, at 5:47 PM, John Oliver wrote:
>
>     Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
>     One now says her emacs is "too small".  I was hoping to find an entry
>     for her .emacs or some command-line parameters I can add to her alias to
>     start emacs with a slightly larger font size.
>
> With X11, I would also like to know the X11 attribute to set for the first frame
> and the default for the other frames.  (The term attribute for X11 may not be the
> right term.  Maybe they are called "resource names")
>
> Thank you,
> Perry Smith
> Ease Software, Inc.
> pedz@easesoftware.com
> http://www.easesoftware.com

Emacs.Font:
Emacs.menu.attributeFont:

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Change default font size?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.541.1163465225.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-11-14 12:53 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-11-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> writes:

> Our users just got new LCD monitors and are now at 1280X1024 resolution.
> One now says her emacs is "too small".

You may have to change the Emacs font, yes, but the « problem » can be
elsewhere: I  changed my screen recently  and had the  tiny sized font
problem.  It happened  that the  problem  was generalized  to all  the
applications. It came from the fact that my X (Xorg 7) wasn't aware of
my screen size: I just had to change the field `DisplaySize' under the
`Monitor' section to something realistic.

Don't know if it helps, but here it is :-)

--
/!\ My mail address changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  La meilleure façon                    |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Change default font size?
@ 2006-11-16 18:53   ` Michael Schuster
From: Michael Schuster @ 2006-11-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glyn Millington wrote:
[snip]

you can envoke emacs e.g with
emacs -fn fontset-24
to make things really big

Michael
--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik