all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Display of numbers (money) in spreadsheet of org-mode
@ 2007-06-06 10:25 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-06-06 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I discovered the spreadsheet in org-mode today. I like it. But I would like
some nicer display. I have a field that is the sum of other fields. At the
moment it is displayed like
        15391.72
but I would like it to be displayed like
        15.391,72
is this possible?

And if this is possible: is it possible to use this format for the input
fields?

* Re: Display of numbers (money) in spreadsheet of org-mode
@ 2007-06-08 12:55 ` carsten.dominik
From: carsten.dominik @ 2007-06-08 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 6, 12:25 pm, Cecil Westerhof <d...@dummy.nl> wrote:
> I discovered the spreadsheet inorg-modetoday. I like it. But I would like
> some nicer display. I have a field that is the sum of other fields. At the
> moment it is displayed like
>         15391.72
> but I would like it to be displayed like
>         15.391,72
> is this possible?
>
> And if this is possible: is it possible to use this format for the input
> fields?

I don't think so, because calc does not support this.  Org-mode is
using
calc for the computations, and calc is also doing the parsing and
formatting of numbers.

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

* Re: Display of numbers (money) in spreadsheet of org-mode
@ 2007-06-11 17:07   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2007-06-11 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

carsten.dominik@gmail.com writes:

> On Jun 6, 12:25 pm, Cecil Westerhof <d...@dummy.nl> wrote:
>> I discovered the spreadsheet inorg-modetoday. I like it. But I would like
>> some nicer display. I have a field that is the sum of other fields. At the
>> moment it is displayed like
>>         15391.72
>> but I would like it to be displayed like
>>         15.391,72
>> is this possible?
>>
>> And if this is possible: is it possible to use this format for the input
>> fields?
>
> I don't think so, because calc does not support this.  Org-mode is
> using
> calc for the computations, and calc is also doing the parsing and
> formatting of numbers.

Calc can format the numbers as above.
In Calc, `d g' (calc-group-digits) will turn grouping on and off (with
an optional argument to set how many digits in a group), `d ,'
(calc-group-char) will set the grouping character, and `d .'
(calc-point-char) will set the decimal point character.  So, in Calc,
`d g', `d , .', `d , .' will give the desired display.  (I don't know
how this would be done through org-mode, unless the settings are made
in the Calc init file.)  However, this doesn't change the way that
numbers can be entered, they have to be entered using periods as
decimal points.

Jay