all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* files locked by myself (on mac)
@ 2007-08-12 20:12 nilsotto
From: nilsotto @ 2007-08-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

When I use emacs on my mac, I have problems with files being locked ( I
experience the same behaviour on both GNU emacs in terminal and in aquamacs)

This is what happens :

1) I start emacs.
2) i start editing a new file.
3) When i save, emacs says that the file is locked by another user.
(/private/tmp/test.txt locked by n10724@felles... (pid 373): (s, q, p, ?)?)

    The user is actually myself, and the PID that locks the file is the same
as the emacs session i'm in.

This makes me very confused.
Has someone seen this behaviour before?

Nils Oto

* Re: files locked by myself (on mac)
       [not found] <mailman.4689.1186952701.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-12 21:38 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-08-12 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nilsotto <nilsotto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> When I use emacs on my mac, I have problems with files being locked ( I
> experience the same behaviour on both GNU emacs in terminal and in aquamacs)
>
> This is what happens :
>
> 1) I start emacs.
> 2) i start editing a new file.
> 3) When i save, emacs says that the file is locked by another user.
> (/private/tmp/test.txt locked by n10724@felles... (pid 373): (s, q, p, ?)?)
>
>     The user is actually myself, and the PID that locks the file is the same
> as the emacs session i'm in.
>
> This makes me very confused.
> Has someone seen this behaviour before?

Perhaps you have some upper case in some name (hostname, username, or
filename)?  This could explain some confusion on HFS...

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.

* Re: files locked by myself (on mac)
@ 2007-08-13  8:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nilsotto; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.08.2007 um 22:12 schrieb nilsotto:

> 3) When i save, emacs says that the file is locked by another user.
> (/private/tmp/test.txt locked by n10724@felles... (pid 373): (s, q,
> p, ?)?)

If GNU Emacs had crashed or was killed via xkill, then it could have
happened that "files" like these were left:

	.#file name -> user@somehost.21015

They are "markers" that some GNU Emacs related process in the net has
changed the file. If this is not true, then simply remove these
"pointers." Of course you can s(teal) the opened and changed file
from the other (dead) process and all might become fine. And this is
nothing Mac OS X special.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Linux bietet Lösungen für Probleme unter Windows, die mit Mac OS X
gar nicht erst auftreten.