all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired cmd to split frame into n equal-sized windows
@ 2007-09-06  3:38 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2007-09-06  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I saw this command (in dired?), tried it, LIKED IT!, and
forgot to write it down.  (Maybe it was all a dream?)

The way it worked, as I remember (or dreamed), was
that you marked some files, say n of them, in a dired-buffer.

Thin, you executed this command, and presto!, those n
files instantly appeared in front of you, each with
roughly the same number of lines.

Neat command!

Please, WHAT IS ITS NAME?

THANKS!

David

* Re: dired cmd to split frame into n equal-sized windows
@ 2007-09-06  7:10 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-09-06  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 Sep 2007 23:38:47 -0400 dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> I saw this command (in dired?), tried it, LIKED IT!, and
> forgot to write it down.  (Maybe it was all a dream?)
>
> The way it worked, as I remember (or dreamed), was
> that you marked some files, say n of them, in a dired-buffer.
>
> Thin, you executed this command, and presto!, those n
> files instantly appeared in front of you, each with
> roughly the same number of lines.
>
> Neat command!
>
> Please, WHAT IS ITS NAME?

C-h i dired-x m  Advanced Mark Commands

`F'
     (`dired-do-find-marked-files') Find all marked files at once
     displaying them simultaneously.  If optional NOSELECT is non-`nil'
     then just find the files but do not select.  If you want to keep
     the Dired buffer displayed, type `C-x 2' first.  If you want just
     the marked files displayed and nothing else, type `C-x 1' first.

     The current window is split across all files marked, as evenly as
     possible.  Remaining lines go to the bottom-most window.  The
     number of files that can be displayed this way is restricted by
     the height of the current window and the variable
     `window-min-height'.

Steve Berman