all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* saving messages
@ 2007-12-04 17:04 David Rod
From: David Rod @ 2007-12-04 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
When I am reading newsgroup I want to save a message so I can read it
later. If I press * this marks it and it is no longer visible when I
exit the group and return to the group.
If I press ! it is always visible but clutters up the Summary window.
If I press o I get into big trouble. Lot's of possibilities and it often
overwrites another file.  If I have appended 10 messages into one file
and then accidentally overwrite it I will be annoyed.
Sorry to lower the scale, but I am trying to learn how to use gnus.
What is the standard procedure to save messages, and then to view these
inside of group by the group buffer, perhaps from different saved locations
locally.

David Rod

* Re: saving messages
@ 2007-12-05 16:18 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-12-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
> When I am reading newsgroup I want to save a message so I can read it
> later. If I press * this marks it and it is no longer visible when I
> exit the group and return to the group.
> If I press ! it is always visible but clutters up the Summary window.
> If I press o I get into big trouble. Lot's of possibilities and it often

I suggest either (a) using the menubar or (b) printing the Gnus
reference card.  It should be available on your system.

You can always view read messages (as long as they are not expired) by
using a prefix argument before entering a group.  If you want to get rid
of messages you've !'d, you can press "d" with the point on the message
in the summary buffer.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: saving messages
@ 2007-12-05 17:21 ` reader
From: reader @ 2007-12-05 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
> When I am reading newsgroup I want to save a message so I can read it
> later. If I press * this marks it and it is no longer visible when I
> exit the group and return to the group.
> If I press ! it is always visible but clutters up the Summary window.
> If I press o I get into big trouble. Lot's of possibilities and it often
> overwrites another file.  If I have appended 10 messages into one file
> and then accidentally overwrite it I will be annoyed.
> Sorry to lower the scale, but I am trying to learn how to use gnus.
> What is the standard procedure to save messages, and then to view these
> inside of group by the group buffer, perhaps from different saved locations
> locally.

I may be missing something important in your question but can't you
copy the message to anywhere you like with `B c' in summary buffer?
Or did you mean to automate the process?

If you mean you want the message to stay in the Newsgroup you can
tic it with `?' to make it dormant (Invisible when entering group)

In the group you can redisplay dormant messages with / D <thats
forward slash uppercase D>